Chapter 4

The pungent scent of weed and alcohol lingered through the air as Harry trudged through the front lawn.  Before walking up the steps to the front porch, he glanced to his right and saw a girl passed out drunk in the planters.  Classy, he thought to himself.

                Inhaling deeply, he laid a heavy hand on the door and pushed, letting the intoxicating fumes envelope him.  He wandered around the house for a little while, laying eyes on a few people he’d recognized but refrained from attempting to make casual conversation.  He had no desire to rekindle the friendships with the people he left behind.  None of them came and visited him while he was away anyways, not even Travis.  But Harry knew that he would have if he wasn’t so scatterbrained.  He forgave Travis without a second thought because it was just so easy.

                “Hey, man!  I thought you wouldn’t show!”  Travis’ voice rang through the deafening music.

                Harry shrugged, “I figured I’d stop by, make sure you weren’t getting yourself into too much trouble.”

                Travis laughed hardily and slapped Harry’s shoulder, “You know I save all the bullshit for when you’re around!”

                Harry grinned, recognizing the truth in his best friend’s words.  He looked around and sighed uncomfortably, slipping both of his hands into the front pockets of his jeans. 

                “Woah,” Travis exclaimed, “when’d you get those?”  He held out a bony finger and pointed at the bird tattoos that were inked across Harry’s chest.  Harry looked down and examined his tattoos before swatting his friend’s wandering hand away.

                “Doesn’t matter,” he fixed the hem of his shirt so it concealed them completely.

                Travis shrugged it off and put a friendly arm around Harry’s broad shoulders, guiding him through the sweaty bodies that were pressed up against each other.  He found it hard to breathe in the clouds of smoke emanating from the rolled up pieces of weed between the fingers of a few guests.  From time to time, he deliberately coughed in their faces, earning him dirty glares. 

                “I’m happy you decided to come, man,” Travis said, taking two bottles of Bud Light from the fridge and handing one to Harry.  He took it and twisted the cap off without any struggle.  There was a pause as Harry took a large swig of the alcohol, letting it burn the inside of his throat as it seeped further into him.  It had been awhile since he’d had anything to drink; the taste surprised him a little.  He stood there, unfazed by the alcohol as his heart beat against his chest in synchronicity to the base of the music.

                “Oh damn, I almost forgot!” Travis’ voice was a little more excited than usual.  “You’ve gotta see the new girl.”

                “New girl?”  Harry questioned.  He wasn’t particularly fond of meeting new people.  And besides, he’d been gone for almost a year; practically everyone at this party was “new” to him.

                “She’s wicked hot,” Travis went on.  “And, get this; she’s practically made out with half the guys here.”

                Harry furrowed his eyebrows and made a face.  He wasn’t entirely sure, but that really wasn’t the best way for this girl to be making a name for herself in a new place.  He glowered at his best friend whose very presence was radiating sheer joy.  “Did you kiss her too?”  Harry asked, slightly mocking him.

                “Damn right I did!”  Travis said, melodramatically folding his arms in front of his chest.

                Harry beamed, his laughter filling the room.  He should have known.

                “But seriously, dude, you have to see her,” his best friend insisted.  By this point, Travis had yanked on Harry’s arm, tiny droplets of beer escaping from the bottle at the quick movement.  They swiveled through the crowd and Travis stood up on his tiptoes.  Harry watched, slightly amused as he tried desperately to locate the unnamed female.

                “Oh, I think I found her!”  He exclaimed, pointing Harry in the direction of their target.

                Harry’s eyes wandered through the sea of people, following the direction of Travis’ finger.  After ducking his head and a couple “that one?” “no, that one’s,” he finally laid eyes on the petite, black haired girl across the room.

                She was pressed firmly against some stoner, his hands stroking the bare skin of her arms.  She threw her head back and giggled flirtatiously as her victim sucked on the base of her neck right above the collarbone.  Her alabaster skin reddened as he nipped gently at her flesh, tonguing it briefly.  Harry watched on, not entirely impressed with the girl that stood meters before him.  She was pretty, but her quickly earned reputation as a slut turned him off.

                “She keeps looking over here,” Travis said, nudging Harry.

                Harry kept silent, already noticing her actions before Travis had said anything.  She threw her head back seductively yet again; making noises as the man before her felt up on her sensitive areas.  Harry noticed something then that made him feel empowered, yet uncomfortable at the same time.  Not once did her eyes leave Harry.  The dark haired imp across the way smirked back at him tauntingly.  Harry did nothing but simply stare back into her cat like eyes.  Through the dimly lit room and the haze of smoke, he made out a yellowish glow in her eyes that enticed him.  But to her dismay, he had no intentions of pursuing her.

                She drew her face back up to the stoner that had successfully managed to place a full hand on her breast and squeeze it gently.  The sight was unnerving to Harry.  He didn’t quite understand how a woman could have such little respect for herself, and it angered him further that the guy she was with didn’t respect her either.  But still he looked on, finding the glow of her eyes intoxicating.  She let her head fall to the side again, placing herself in Harry’s line of vision.  He saw what she was doing, and if he was being honest, he was rather flattered by it.  But it didn’t change the fact that the guy now caressing her waist was probably one of the many guys she’d hooked up with on her arrival.

                Harry smirked, letting out a slight chuckle as her eyes burrowed into his soul.  He let his head hang and look at the ground.  In some way, he felt slightly sorry for the guy she was with.  She had him thinking that he was going to get lucky at some point during the night, but Harry knew she had no intentions of going any further with him.  He hadn’t spoken to her once, he didn’t even know her name; but he just knew.

                “I’m gonna leave, Travis,” Harry said, downing what was left in the bottle and placing it on the table beside him.

                “Already?” Travis whined, “You just got here.”

                Harry smiled at his friend and gave him a nudge before saying goodbye. 

                As he pushed past groups of wasted teenagers, he looked over one last time to locate the bright eyed girl that had been so vigorously trying to score his attention.  At last, he saw her and noticed she had been struggling to find him too.  When their eyes met, she leaned back a little; her chest protruding, making it almost impossible to notice the crevice between her breasts.

                With a grin, Harry turned away and disappeared into the crowd.