chapter 4

Their trip to the tower after grabbing dinner from the elves was long and awkward, which was a feat considering that Blaise had to be silent underneath the invisibility cloak anyway. Despite that fact, the silence between the two boys was stifling. In all honesty, Blaise didn't know what Draco was doing in the Room of Requirement. The blonde was disinclined to tell him, so he'd let it lie; Blaise really wasn't the one to pry. He was worried about his friend, certainly, but he figured that Draco would come to him when he needed his help. He was sure that his task, whatever it was, had something to with his summer guests, but other than that he was clueless. Either way, despite their growing camaraderie and attachment, Blaise wasn't about to tell Harry even that little amount. He wouldn't betray his best friend. No matter what anyone said of Slytherins, they were loyal to those they believed deserved it, and Blaise was fiercely loyal to Draco.

Harry for his part couldn't help but feel a little hurt, and he couldn't for the life of him understand why. Of course, Blaise would stand by his housemate, even if he wasn't directly involved in whatever plot Malfoy was concocting. Furthermore, Malfoy and Blaise were close, a fact that further disconcerted the Gryffindor. Harry knew that he and his partner's relationship was that of project partners, and nothing more, but he'd felt that they had reached a friendlier point in their relationship. Didn't it bother Blaise that Malfoy was probably plotting his death at this very moment? Didn't it bother him that his friend was suffering under the rule of a madman? Harry knew that Draco was suffering; it was plain as day on his face for anyone to see if they actually looked. Harry wanted to try and help Malfoy because even if they hated one another he liked to think that they hated Voldemort more. He heaved a heavy sigh as he stopped in front of the portrait of the fat lady.

"This is the Fat Lady Zabini," Harry said quietly. "Be nice to her; she's sensitive. The password is blood diamonds, not that you'll be entering without me, but anyway..." Harry trailed off.

"Who are you talking to child?" The Fat Lady asked him, giving Harry a curious look. She couldn't see anyone nearby and was worried that the boy was beginning to crack under stress.

"No one Madame, could you open the portrait please?"

"Of course dear, they're a little rowdy in the common room, so why don't you head straight on up and get some rest tonight. You look like you could use it," she suggested with a mildly worried glance. Harry nodded but remained silent as the portrait swung open. He and Blaise stepped into the bright room and glanced around. Things were a little livelier tonight, but it wasn't much crazier than usual. First years were in the corners playing exploding snap or wizarding marbles, dodging both the flaming cards and the air born marbles. The middle years were a little closer to the fire reading at the tables or gossiping amongst themselves. The elder students - the sixth and seventh years - all occupied the plush couches and armchairs closest to the fire.

This certainly wasn't the most studious house, Blaise thought, but he'd known that already. Apart, from Hermione no one in this house was particularly high on academia. He glanced at Harry; well, he might have been if he were encouraged properly.

Blaise began to move and follow Harry as the Gryffindor discreetly tried to maneuver them around the outside edges of the room toward what the Slytherin figured were the Gryffindor dorms.

"Oh Harry! There you are." A female voice called out from the area nearest the fire.

The boys turned to see Hermione waving them over and Ginny smiling widely at them. Ron nodded but soon turned back to his chess game against Dean Thomas. Blaise smirked as Thomas grimaced as his bishop took a beating from of Ron's pawn.

Feeling an uncomfortable, nauseating tug settle in his stomach Blaise became aware of the fact that Harry was moving away from him and was alarmingly close the twenty foot marker. Harry stopped abruptly and turned to look at the supposedly empty space with a questioning expression. "