chapter 5

Saturday night, looking out into the night sky, Professor Dumbledore clasped his hands behind his back as he stood before his office window. He glanced down at Hogwart's grounds and smiled grimly at the silent castle towers below his own. As Headmaster, the tower his office and quarters were situated in was the tallest, and if one were to stand in the rafters, they would notice that the tower possessed a panoramic view of the entire castle and grounds. The majesty of Hogwarts never ceased to amaze Dumbledore. From the front gates to the forest, from the dungeons to the owlery, it was a brilliant place. He was truly going to miss it.

"Albus," a rich tenor called behind him, interrupting his solemn moment.

Dumbledore turned and smiled at his Potion's Master. "Yes, Severus?" "Here is this week's potion," he handed a vial of viscous crimson liquid to Dumbledore when the wizard moved to retrieve it.

"It's a stronger dose since the curse is spreading far faster than I had first anticipated. I must also have a look at your hand again to apply the salve," he said, turning to rummage through his potions kit. "I had originally hoped to tether the curse to your finger alone, but it has engulfed the entirety of your hand."

Weeks ago, Dumbledore had returned to the castle with a ghastly curse on him that would have extinguished his life within days if it weren't for the prowess of Madame Pomfrey and Severus Snape's skill as a potion's master and his experience with the dark arts. The Headmaster had been exceedingly tightlipped about the origins of the curse, but Severus would have had to have been a complete simpleton to miss the dark aura emanating from the curse mark. "I thank you Severus," Dumbledore smiled

Severus merely sneered, "If you would have sought me out sooner, then perhaps I could have done more." Dumbledore had suffered for days alone before he'd had the wherewithal to summon his healer and potion's master.

Severus examined Dumbledore's decaying hand and ground his teeth. "This is not improving, and I scarcely doubt that it will. Without the counter curse-"

"I understand very well and appreciate your help my boy." Dumbledore said with a sigh, removing his hand when Severus completed the application. He walked to his chair behind his large, ornate wooden desk.

"This predicament will not change our circumstances-"

"How has it not altered our circumstances? You are dying!" The potions master hissed, instantly irate. Severus never boasted that he was a patient or tolerant man..

The Headmaster sighed, "I am beginning to understand that Severus, and I am forming contingency plans for that outcome. Do not worry. I must merely expedite some of my plans. All will be well."

"What plans?" Severus asked hesitantly. He hated how the old man made plans for everyone without their knowledge or permission.

No doubt these plans of his involved the resident Golden Boy and some harebrained scheme; that would inevitably give Severus migraines and probably nightmares for months to come.

Severus could never understand Dumbledore's willingness to place the weight of the wizarding world on such slight shoulders. Despite his dislike for all things Potter, even he was not so cruel as to encourage young Potter to engage Voldemort on a regular basis. It was absolutely absurd.

"Thank you for your time Severus. I know you must prepare for your lectures on Monday morning, so I will not hold you any longer," Dumbledore said with a benign smile. Severus snorted and spun on his heels, whipping his robes dramatically.

When the door shut firmly, Dumbledore slumped in his chair. He was so very tired, yet he had so much to accomplish this night and in the near future. With a sigh, he pushed himself up and reached for the quill and parchment he kept in his desk drawer to pen a note to young Harry. He decided to wait until Monday to have it delivered to the boy. I will allow him the pleasure of this last weekend.