CHAPTER 19

Here goes...

19th Nov.,2316
Mason's POV

The lights went out and were replaced by the red blinking emergency lights. A droid's voice repeated that we should make our way to the nearest exit. Callie and I stood frozen in fear, staring at each other. What the heck was going on?!
                          The sound of glass smashing jarred us out of our trance of terror. I slid my book back in the library shelf quietly and watched as Callie did the same. We needed to find out what was going on and why the hell the librarian screamed but, I wasn't sure how we were going to do that considering we were shaking in our boots. I closed my eyes and tried to calm myself by counting to ten. My heartbeat slowed a bit and I think Callie did the same because when I opened my eyes, she seemed a bit more collected.

"We need to get out of here now." I whispered to her.

"How are we going to do that?" She whispered back as she played with her fingers. "Didn't you hear that scream? Obviously, something has happened to her."

"That's the more reason we have to go there, to see if she's okay so we can all get out of here." I argued.

"Fine, but if anything happens it's your fault." She whispered.

"We should stick to the shelves and stay close behind me." I said.

Luckily, we were halfway to the front desk. We tip-toed towards there hiding behind the shelves. The sound of footsteps and whispering became louder as we got closer. Once we were three shelves away from the desk, a metallic smell hit our nostrils. Blood. Callie covered her mouth tightly as she gagged and I scrunched up my nose. I guess this was more serious than we thought. The voices got louder as the people started arguing.

"...we can't just wait for him to pop up, idiot. We have to look around, he's not stupid." a male voice said.

"He's in high school." A female voice stated. The voice sounded familiar.

There was a short silence.

"You've got a point there." The male voice replied .

"He's right though. What if we're giving him time to prepare? Let's just go in and search for him." another male voice added.

"Would you two take a chill pill?! He's just a normal freaking high school student, not Hitler!" the female blurted out.

"If he was just 'a normal freaking high school student', I don't think we would be here." The first male voice argued.

"Yeah, Axel wouldn't send the three of us after him. There's gotta be something about him that makes him worth three debt-free lives." The second male agreed . They continued to bicker and Callie and I stared at ourselves in wonder.

Who were they talking about? Who's Axel? Why would he want a high school student? We inched closer to get a closer look at the people arguing. By now, their voices were a bit raised, they didn't even bother to be quiet. I peeped from behind a shelf and saw them. The woman and the first male stood toe to toe as they argued. The second guy looked bored. I noticed a body lying still beside him. There was a puddle around it; the librarian. I hoped she wasn't too hurt.

"Would you keep it down?! We don't want our spot to be given away." the woman complained.

"Oh really? Like the scream didn't give it away." The first guy said sarcastically. The second guy pushed the two of them away from each other.

"On that note, we spread out and look for him, okay?" he said. The other two took one last look at each other and nodded. They split up and stalked towards the shelves. Not good.