Chapter 1: New Town, New Life

Pain.

Distress.

Darkness.

That's all I can recall from that day. The rest is a blur.

But I have a good feeling I'd want to leave the rest of that moment forgotten.

I remember not being able to move.

"Make it stop..."

I remember being afraid.

"Don't do this..."

I remember losing everything.

"DON'T GO--"

"Sir?"

I open my eyes and let out a light gasp. The sound of someone calling out to me snaps me out of my trance. I notice a woman in front of me, waving her hand in my face.

Woman: Is this your stop?

[Y/N]: H-Huh? Oh-- uhh... Where are we?

Woman: Tokyo.

[Y/N]: Ahh, then this is my stop.

I gather my stuff, get up from my seat, and prepare to exit the train, until--

Woman: Sir, are you alright?

I turn back to the woman calling for my attention.

[Y/N]: Hm?

Woman: You seemed troubled when you came to. Some of the people here tried getting your attention earlier, but you wouldn't respond.

Whoa. I was that spaced out? Good thing someone managed to snap me back to reality before I missed my stop.

[Y/N]: I'm fine. Just, uhh... didn't really get much sleep last night, that's all.

Woman: Well, if you say so. Have a nice day.

[Y/N]: Thank you. You too.

I proceed to exit the train, and as soon as I do, it continues its usual trek down the track.

I take a moment to stop and examine my surroundings.

Busy streets, plenty of talking, a lot of pedestrians, tall buildings, more talking... Yep. This is the city, alright.

I take out a little piece of paper from my pocket where I wrote down the address of my apartment. I take out my phone and look through a map of Tokyo, trying to locate my destination.

[Y/N]: Hmm... Alright, it's not too far from here.

I stuff the piece of paper back into my pocket and begin making my way there. As I'm walking through the city, the streets become more and more crowded, and it becomes a little harder to get around. I can hear people's phone calls, conversations, students' chit-chat, all overlapping each other.

[Y/N]: I'm gonna have to get used to this...

After getting lost a couple times because of how big the environment is, I arrive at my destination nonetheless. As I get into my apartment, I look around--

I see a couple doors that presumably lead to other parts of the place, probably a bathroom and a bedroom. I have a few small windows and a decent view of of city. I have a small kitchen connected to the dining area, and a small living room with some slightly tattered furniture.

[Y/N]: Well, this is charming.

The place is a little dusty, but... that's nothing I can't take care of.