Chapter 4: Friends I Met in Places

[Y/N]'S POV

It's been about an hour since the whole fiasco with Kanon and Misaki, and I was in class, listening to our teacher's discussion about chemistry or something. If you're wondering why I sound unsure about what the lecture is about, it's because I haven't been paying much attention.

Now, I know that sounds irresponsible.

Because it is.

I don't have an excuse for that.

I've been spaced out for a majority of the class, just staring out the window. I'm the kind of person who easily gets lost in his thoughts, and I've had quite some stuff on my mind lately. Not quite much, and it's mostly just been me thinking back to the past few days I've been in this city and thinking about what I'm gonna do after school. Sometimes going through the list of things I still have to do. But there's a burning question in my head, just begging to be answered...

...Was moving here really the right choice?

I've thought about it a lot, and up 'till now, I still don't know the answer. I know I was trying to get away from my past and all, but... was it worth leaving behind what I had? Was it worth moving to someplace new - someplace I felt like a total stranger in?

I then remember what Sāya-san told me when she gave me that free cornet...

"The city's a rough burrow, so it's not gonna be easy to get by on your own. But I'm sure you'll manage. There are a lot of good people out there. So don't think you have to be all by yourself just because you arrived to town that way."

Remembering those words sends a sense of assurance within me. She's right. I've only been in town for a few days. Things are gonna be a little rough. I just need to take some time to adjust. And there are good people out there. And I've met people who are good enough evidence for that.

I should just take some time to settle down and--

Mrs. Asoka: [Y/N].

My cloud of thoughts immediately poof away as the teacher abruptly calls my name, putting me in a sudden state of shock and panic.

[Y/N]: W-What?--

Mrs. Asoka: Are you still with us?

For a second, I'm at a total loss for words. My throat feels dry, my heart is pounding, and my brain just ran into a brick wall. I muster up whatever I can to save myself from this situation. From the back, I hear someone let out a quiet snicker, but it was audible enough for me to hear.

Probably Keith.

I dart my eyes for a second behind me and spot a grinning face staring right back at me.

Definitely Keith.

[Y/N]: Ahh-- Y-Yeah, yeah, I-I was just, uhh...

I hastily look around me, trying to find literally anything that could give me an idea for a good excuse. Then I see my textbook. I quickly grab it and pretend as if I'm reading through it.

[Y/N]: ...I-I was just going through the book as you went on with the lesson. I, uhh... thought I could... understand it better if I did.

Mrs. Asoka shoots me a suspicious stare. But ultimately replaces it with a less serious look.

Mrs. Asoka: I see. Well, if that's the case, then I assume you'd know how to solve the problem on the board.

My eyes slightly widen and I nearly choke on the very air I breathe. This was literally the last thing I was hoping for.