Chapter 10: A Game of Life and Friendship

REI'S POV

After our little encounter, Hana-chan suggested we head someplace to eat.

Truth be told, I was getting quite hungry, so I was more than happy to go with her.

We decided to eat at a local family restaurant. There were quite a lot of people there, so it must've been a busy place.

It was in the middle of the city after all.

We looked for a vacant table and sat down. Not long after, a waitress came and took our orders.

While waiting, I decided to strike up a conversation with Hana-chan.

Rei: So, what are you doing out here?

Tae: I was bored at home.

Rei: Ahh. What about your band friends?

Tae: I wanted to hang out with them, but they all seemed busy today. Kasumi has a doctor's appointment.

Rei: Oh? What happened?

Tae: Nothing serious. She just hit her head on a door frame in her house while jumping around yesterday.

What?...

Rei: A-Ahah... I see... Why was she jumping around?...

Tae: I think she got excited about something after eating a whole box of chocolate... or so her sister told us.

Rei: That girl can be very full of energy. You can never really tell when she's eaten a box of chocolate or not...

I say that last part mostly to myself.

Tae: Rimi's out on a road trip with her family, Sāya's busy at the bakery as usual, and Arisa is tending to her children.

Rei: Oh, I s-- Wait, one of them has kids?-

Tae: I went to check on her this morning to see if she wanted to hang out. I found her talking to her little trees and told me she was busy. I figured with the way she treats those plants, she sees them as her offsprings.

Rei: I-Is that so?...

Never have I heard news from these girls that wasn't even at the slightest... somewhat interesting.

Rei: Are you heading anywhere in particular?

Tae: Hmmm... Not really. Before I left Arisa's place, she told me to "go look for rabbits in the streets or something." That's what I was doing before I bumped into you.

Rei: I see...

Tae: For some reason, her face was really red when she said it. Maybe she really likes rabbits too.

Rei: Ahaha, maybe...

Tae: What about you?

Rei: Hm?

I look up to face her. For some reason, it took me a second to process what she was talking about.

Rei: Oh, I'm just going around. Needed to get out of the house for a bit, so I thought a walk around the place would be nice.

Tae: Mmm, the city is quite nice in the afternoon. A lot of people, but I don't mind. It helps make the city feel more like a city.

Rei: Yeah...

I say, smiling.

Melancholically.

Hana-chan doesn't seem to notice however, which relieves me.

Rei: So... Your concert's only a week away. How does it feel?

Tae: Well... I'm a little nervous... I mean, who wouldn't be?