Chapter 8: RAISE A Million Questions

[Y/N]'S POV

Shiro: Wait, so you jumped in front of the truck and pulled her to the ground so it'd drive over you?

[Y/N]: That's pretty much the summary of it.

Shiro: And you just rushed in without even considering the possibility - I mean, the huge possibility - that you could've died too?

[Y/N]: I don't know what came over me... I saw what was about to happen, and then... I just had this urge to step in and do something. It was like my entire body suddenly had a mind of its own or something.

Shiro: Whoa... That's so cool...

I look to Shiro and raise a brow.

As soon as he realizes what he said, he seemingly and frantically thinks up what to say.

Shiro: ...N-Not the part where you almost died, of course. I-I meant the--

[Y/N]: It's fine...

Shiro: Dude, you're like a superhero or something. You got, like, Spidey-Sense and stuff. Now you just gotta learn to stick to walls and shoot those string things outta your hands.

[Y/N]: ...I'm not sure I'm really down to taking up superhero... ing as a part-time job.

Shiro: But it'd be so cool though. Like, imagine, you're swinging around the city, doing flips and...

At that point, I ceased to pay much attention to what Shiro was saying.

There was something on my mind that I couldn't get out.

One burning question...

...Why did I do that?

Why did I step in to save that person?

I mean... Not that it's a bad thing. I'm glad I was able to save their life, I really am. But...

...Why did it almost feel like I was just ready to accept whatever fate laid ahead?

Whether I'd live or die?

I'm not typically one to do that, but... why? Was it because I didn't want to just watch that person die? Was it because I felt the need to do something because no one else was?

Or was it because I couldn't bare to see that happened again?

To see...

...

Shiro: Wait... What if you could be Spider-Man and the Flash at the same time?

As my mind went blank, I was snapped back into reality and plopped back into whatever this conversation has turned into.

[Y/N]: ...H-Huh?

Shiro: Oh, actually... Nah, that wouldn't work... Peter's bully's name is Flash, so I don't think that would really blend in well. Maybe if...

My expression goes emotionless and Shiro continues to ramble.

I let out a sigh and look away.

That's when a certain something catches my eye. I stare at the scenery with curiosity and confusion plastered on my face.

Shiro: ...then you'd do a backflip, snap the bad guy's neck, and save the day. What do you think?

Shiro turns to me expectantly, but I ignore him.

He seems to notice that I have my focus directly elsewhere.

Shiro: [Y/N]?

He looks me in the eyes and attempts to trace where my gaze is set on. His eyes appear to land on what I'm looking at, as he lets out a quick...