Chapter 2: Lost

SĀYA'S POV

And with that, he departed.

Hmmm... I can't imagine living in a big city all alone. I've always lived with my whole family under the same roof as me, so I don't really know what it's like being so far away from them. Things must be a little rough for him. That's pretty much why I gave away that cornet for free. One small act of kindness can change everything. My parents always taught me that growing up. That's why this bakery exists - to put even the littlest smiles on the faces of people who need it. Because no matter how heavy the burden you're carrying, the smallest things in life are enough to take your mind off of them. Even if it's for a little while. And I'm willing to commit to that mission.

But then again, it's up to them on whether they're willing to accept the help they're offered by others. And it really is better if you do, because one person can only take so much. I would know... Because I was the same once.

But that's all behind me now.

I couple more minutes pass, and my mom comes out of the kitchen.

Sāya's Mom: Sāya. I'll handle the customers. You can head to school now.

Sāya: Alright, mom. Remember not to overwork yourself.

Sāya's Mom: I won't, you worry wart.

I give my mom a hug before leaving as she hugs me back. I grab my stuff and proceed to head out the door.

Sāya: See you later!

[Y/N]'S POV

...

[Y/N]: Dang it, why am I not getting any signal out here?

After I left the bakery earlier, I was in a pretty positive mood. That was... before I realized how much trouble it was gonna be just to get to school.

Or rather... find it.

Yeah, I'm lost again.

Jeez, I should probably get a physical copy of a map of town.

...Or, better yet, know the way before heading out and eventually memorize the way.

For some reason, my phone isn't picking up any signal, which doesn't make sense at all considering I'm in the middle of an urban environment. Therefore, I can't check my map, which means I can't find my way to school.

[Y/N]: This was working two days ago! Are there just no bars in this part of town, or--

Suddenly, a symbol starts flashing on my screen, indicating that my battery just ran out.

[Y/N]: Wait, what?? No, no, no, no, wait, not now--!

...And it dies.

[Y/N]: Great...

I swear I left my phone to charge last night. My charger can't be broken, I just bought that thing. And I swear it wasn't a bootleg brand.

...Was it the outlet that wasn't working?

Man, either the landlords aren't paying the power bills or they aren't paying enough.

Or they just hate me, I dunno.

I sigh.

[Y/N]: How am I gonna get there now?

I look around me, not knowing where to go. So I try to recall how I got to the school when I bought my uniform the other day. I continue to walk aimlessly, taking random turns I'm not sure of and occasionally bumping into dead-ends. As I keep going, my surroundings become increasingly unfamiliar until I stop in my tracks and realize the dreadful reality of my situation.