Chapter 1

"You need to stop being so boring!"

My best friend, Angel, ripped the book I was intently reading from my hands and chucked it onto my bed. I released an agonised breath and looked pleadingly at Angel, who was watching me with her crystal blue eyes.

"Since when is Jane Austen boring?" I asked innocently, going to pick up my copy of 'Pride and Prejudice' and returning it to my bookshelf.

"Since, like, forever!" She cried, dramatically flinging herself onto my desk chair. I resisted the urge to snap at her to leave my things alone, knowing it will only make things worse.

I sighed at her childish behaviour. "Okay then. Since you're the queen of fun you can decide what we do."

She smiled radiantly and shook out her shoulder length dirty blonde hair. It wasn't hard for Angel to have fun; she was drop dead gorgeous. She could've easily been part of the popular clique if I hadn't dragged her down.

I cast a glance in the mirror, already knowing what I would see. Deep brown waves caressed my ivory skin like a sea of melted chocolate. Hazel eyes peered back through my looking glass. I was boring physically as well as mentally.

"Well," she sung, "there's a party at the Mason mansion I've been dying to go to and-"

"No way!" I groaned. "I hate Richard Mason! He's such a snob."

"That's what makes it's fun," Angel protested. "And he's a handsome snob- it makes all the difference."
"Sure, sure." I rolled my eyes and slumped down onto my bed. "But my mom might not let me go and... and I have nothing to wear!"

Angel tutted. "Mrs Smith adores me so I'll plead on your behalf. I know! I know! I'm too good!"

"You can plead until your face is blue because I still have nothing cool enough to wear to the Mason mansion."

She grinned, a devilish spark in her eyes like the oceans catching aflame. "It's a good job I'm your best friend then."

I bit my lip anxiously. Throughout my whole school life is managed to spend my Saturday evenings cooped up in my room reading and dreaming of faraway places that weren't Silver Hills. Angel had always gone out by herself, not even bothering to ask me, knowing the answer would be no. Now that school is finished and we only have one summer left though, she had begun to try and break me out of my shell.

I imagined my peers faces when I walked into the Mason mansion. They might even die of shock. I thought particularly of Genevieve Crane, the girl who had gone out of her way to make my life hell in high school. The idea of her laying on the ground, raven hair pooling on Richard Masons marble floor was particularly attractive.

"I can see there's no getting out of this," I declared. "So you can be my fairy godmother for tonight and tonight only!"

Angel squealed and clapped her hands in delight. "Oh my God! This is amazing! I have the perfect outfit for you!"

I let myself be led from my room, followed by exclamations of how wonderful it was we were similar dress sizes.

"Let me get this straight. You want to go out."

My moms voice was astounded. Even over the phone I could see her jaw drop.

"Actually, Angel wants me to go out and I want to make Angel happy."

"Honey you have to stop letting Angel run your life and take control," my mom lectured. "And are you sure it's safe to go out? You never know what monsters are lurking in the shadows."

I scoffed. "Oh yeah. Monsters in Silver Hills. That sounds likely."

Besides me Angel motioned for me to let her talk. I reluctantly turned on loudspeaker.