Chapter 18

I never ever thought I'd end up in the Mason's creepy underground basement, yet if seemed fate had led me there.

Through a door kept under lock and key, stairs led downwards into a whole different realm contrasting with the Mason's modern home design.

Stone walls and thick tapestries hung from the walls, with strange maps and books lining the sides of the room. In the middle there was a circular table with plush red seats placed around its length.

When I arrived at midnight, after sneaking out of my house, a bruised Richard awkwardly led me down into his family's secret chamber.

Every chair was full but two. By the looks everyone was giving me, I presumed one was destined for me. To further my suspicions I saw that carved in front of the one closest to me there was a wolf embedded into the table. Not exactly secretive, but effective all the same.

As I sat, I let my fingers trace the lupine shape. Jax. This seat- this position- was meant for him. And I, as his mate, was the replacement.

I looked at the other members of the council. Genevieve sat with a scowl on her face next to Elisabeth (without Diana) and Richard. The Masons, of course, were all there. And so was, who I presumed to be, Genevieve's mother and younger sister.

That left one seat empty. From across the table I thought I saw a chalice engraved in front of it. It must be Victor.

"Is every member present?" An authorities voice, Mrs Mason, asked.

I thought we were would nod, but Bellamy had a parchment in front of him from which he began to read. He called out the Masons first, and then ticked off Elisabeth.

"Desdemona Crane?"

The woman who assented was Genevieve's mother. They had the same dark hair and illuminated green eyes.

"Winona Crane?"

The girl who replied this time was her younger, sixteen year old sister, who looked more like their father then mother. Winona had a ruddy complexion and curvy body, with light brown hair that fell softly in waves around her round face. Her eyes, also green, were lighter and more joyous. Though perhaps not as stunning as her sister, I always thought she had a certain beauty her other family members lacked

"Alpha Jax?" Bellamy called out. I wasn't sure whether to answer for him or not when Mrs Mason cut in before I could answer.

"Represented by his mate, Persephone Smith."

I smiled at her gratefully. There was only one more name to call out after that.

"Lord Victor Thornwood?"

A deafening silence fell through the room, until finally Elisabeth said, "indisposed."

With that, the strange register was placed down and the meeting could commence.

My stomach clenched anxiously at what they could want to speak about. Were councils held often or only when trouble was happening? I half hoped it was just a routine meeting where they would run through some bullet points and then conclude with homemade cookies.

"Our first matter to discuss," Mrs Mason declared, "is the matter of the Alpha and his mate."

I flushed bright red as every face turned to me.

"As discussed last time, we voted in favour of keeping the two mates separated for the good of all. What we didn't agree on, however, was whether to disclose why we made that decision with those involved." Mrs Mason turned a cool gaze towards me. It wasn't a cruel look but it filled me with dread all the same.