Chapter 9

Jax was stood in the shadows with his back to me.

I wasn't sure how to approach him after my earlier display of affection. My one consolation was that he had thrown himself at me with equal eagerness.

Branches snapped underneath my feet as I made my way towards him. A small portion of my brain felt self-conscious about my torn dress and my body being painted in blood and dirt. I tried to push it away as I came to his side.

He was staring intently at something in the distance, silver eyes gleaming with some unidentifiable emotion. I could stare into those eyes for an eternity.

Eventually he turned in my direction. "Walk with me," he growled in a low tone. I bristled at the hateful inflection in his words.

He strode forwards, taking big, powerful steps. I had to race to keep up with him, rubbing at the goosebumps running along my bare arms. I cursed Genevieve and her flare for the dramatic.

He noticed me struggling to match his pace and slowed down. Soon we were stepping in tandem like twin soldiers marching to battle.

An uneasy silence had descended upon us. I fought for words to break the heavy awkwardness.

"Are you hurt?" Jax's voice sounded cool, but it masked true concern.

I considered for a moment: my head throbbed, my lips were swollen and my legs and arms were close to numb, but I'd felt worse pain in my life. I shook my head, not trusting my own voice.

"Good." He seemed to struggle for words. I supposed I should do some of the talking.

"I really don't know much about wolves," I began. "I hadn't even laid eyes on one until a few weeks ago when your beta crashed the party at Masons house, and even then I had bigger concerns. I suppose that was the first time I saw you really, when you picked me up by the tree."

I was babbling on to fill the silence but he suddenly stilled and swung around to look at me with fear in his eyes. "I didn't pick you up by the tree." His voice was dangerous. "I picked you up by the grass outside of the Mason property."

"But... but I could sense it was you." My voice faltered. How could it not be him? I thought the mating bond had linked me to that stranger in the woods.

His handsome face darkened. "This is bad. There's something dangerous out there." A hand reached out protectively. I thought he would twine it round my arm, but he caught himself and recoiled. A twinge of disappointment shot through me.

"More dangerous than wolves?"

A strange expression crossed his face. Amusement, maybe? "You shouldn't worry about the wolves, my love. The council is more dangerous than us."

I gasped, a hand flying to my mouth.

His eyebrows creased, those gorgeous lips pouting. "Did I say something offensive?"

It was the way he called me his love, with such casualness and calm. As if he didn't know the gravity of those simple words. I had been called 'love' and 'sweetheart' by my mother too many times to count, but being called love by Jax- my mate- felt significantly different. More important and world-changing.

"You said-" I cleared my throat. "My love"

An expression of slight panic inflicted his face, his muscular body tensing. "I'm sorry," he apologised in a low voice. "It's an old habit. I should've remembered who I'm speaking too."

A sudden wave of emotion swept over me. "You're speaking to your mate," I said quietly. "But a mate you don't want, and one you couldn't have even if you did desire."