Chapter 39

It felt as if reality stood still.

Genevieve let out a startled cry, her hands flinging out in a motion that made it seem like she was casting a spell. Yet we all knew she could do nothing to stop the oncoming darkness.

Diana was sobbing hysterically and thrashing about in the Shadowlord's grip. It was strange to see Victor's body causing such harm to Diana Thorpe, whom he had once claimed to love.

Jax snarled furiously and leaped to the defence of the red headed girl. He was too late though. Ezaryth had already pulled out a thin, needle-like, blade. Without hesitation, he plunged it through her right wrist.

The shriek she emitted was near deafening and sent a wintry chill throughout my inner being. I longed to help her yet I was helpless myself. I couldn't even save my unborn daughter. How could I save my friend?

Pinned to the ground by the vicious weapon, Ezaryth jeered at his victim.

"Now," he whispered, "you will pay for what you did to me. It doesn't feel nice to be powerless, does it?"

She only screamed in response. This didn't seem to be what he wanted; the Diana Thorpe we was seeing was worlds apart from the witch he had faced so many decades ago.

I wondered if Victor was still inside that body, trying to help Diana. It seems unlikely. How could he let such hurt come to her? I knew Jax would never stand to see me in such agony.

Jax had pounded onto Ezaryth, a roar resounding from his fanged jaw. Unbelievably, he was batted away like nothing more than a mouse to a cat.

"Jax!" I cried. I felt Genevieve's hand clamp around my mouth.

"Quiet stupid girl," she hissed in my ear. "Now he is distracted. You must escape"

"No!" I protested. "What about the plan?"

"The plan is over. We have failed." She spun me around until I was facing a certain patch of trees. "Run in that direction. It will lead you to safety."

I hesitated, my eyes flicking back and forth between my mate and my friend, and the dangerous situation they were in. Would I be sacrificing my own life if I stayed? Was it worth risking them?

"You can do nothing to help," Genevieve assured me. "Nothing but protecting the child inside you."

I knew the words rung true. It was only the thought of getting in the way that prompted me to follow Genevieve's instructions.

Guilt flooded my chest as I turned and fled.

The last thing I heard was a guttural cry and the whimpering moans of a dying girl.