Chapter 28

"You're insane." Angel shook her head and went in for another scoop of ice-cream.

I just smiled and dug my spoon in after her. Sat in my kitchen under florescent lights, gossiping and stuffing our faces, I could almost pretend it was the old days again. I tried to think of anything but my stomach. Anything but the life that may have taken root there.

"Well, Genevieve did try to kill me afterwards," I admitted. Angel nearly choked on her ice-cream.

I had told her everything that had happened in my life that she could hear without having several heart attacks. One of the main things we discussed was Richard Mason and our one night love affair.

"Not even I kissed Richard Mason!" She wrinkled her nose in what looked like disgust. "Was it good?"

I contemplated for a moment. I hadn't mentioned that my comparison was with Jax- who, in my opinion, nobody could beat- and in her mind he would've been my first kiss. Considering this, I just nodded and shrugged nonchalantly.

"He's had a lot of practice in his life," I said, and left it at that.

"Hey, you took one for the team finding that out." Angel casually flicked my shoulder. The matching pyjama set we had bought as a joke months ago was worn by both of us, reminding me that, despite how different we were, at our cores me and Angel were twin flames.

I had missed just hanging out with her.

Changing the subject I asked, "any development with Bellamy?"

She raised an eyebrow suggestively, "I'm glad you asked, because apparently he's single and ready to mingle."

I made a face at the gross wording she'd used.

"And," she continued, "he asked me if I would be free to get a coffee with him sometime."

"Woah! When did this happen!" I blinked furiously in surprise. My mom was stood in the doorway (probably to tell us goodnight), now fully enraptured by teenage drama.

"Angelica! He's a bit old isn't he," she chided jokingly. Angel grinned devilishly.

"Not to me he isn't."

I slapped her arm and grumbled at her to stop being weird.

"I bumped into him when I went round to see Diana," she said. "Also, I'm going to need a better explanation for your mystery disappearance last night other than we got lost."

"I second that," my mom said, coming further into the kitchen. "You might legally be an adult but I'm legally still your mother and therefore legally still allowed to fret and fuss over you."

I rolled my eyes and tried to calm my expression, hoping my cheeks hadn't flushed. "Fine. If you really want to hear the truth..."

Angel gasped dramatically and nodded. My mom muttered something about how I'd just confessed to the heinous crime of lying to my own mother. My brain was quickly trying to think of half-truths that would sound plausible.

"There's a boy!" I announced. Angel's spoon clattered to the floor, chiming like a bell against my linoleum floor.

"I knew it!" She squealed. "It's Caspar, isn't it!"

My mother almost squealed as well. "He is such a sweetheart. Or maybe," she said, as if a lightbulb had gone off in her head, "it's that brooding boy who was glaring at us the other day at the cinema."

"Ummmm, it's neither of them," I lied. "Someone you don't know. And I won't say anything else about it until it gets more serious."

You couldn't get more serious than me and Jax: mated and married. And possibly a baby on the way. My stomach flipped at the unpleasant thought.