Ankylosaurus

INFORMATION

Name Meaning: Armored Lizard.

Period: Upper Cretaceous (approximately between 68 and 66 million years).

Length: 6,25 meters.

Height: Between 1,7 to 2 meters.

Weight: 6 tons.

Diet: Herbivore.

Ankylosaurus magniventris is the only known species of the fossil genus Ankylosaurus of ankylosaurid thyrophores dinosaurs, which lived in the late Cretaceous period, approximately 68 to 66 million years ago, during the Maastrichtiense, in what is now North America.

Like other ankylosaurids, Ankylosaurus was distinguished by its heavy armor and large caudal club, making it probably the largest of its group.

The largest known ankylosaurid, Ankylosaurus was up to 6.25 m long, 1.7 m tall, and weighed 6 tons. It was a quadrupedal animal, with a wide and robust body. It had a large, broad skull, with two horns pointing backwards from the back of the head, and two horns below these pointing backwards and downwards. The front of the face was covered in a beak, with rows of small, leaf-shaped teeth further behind it. It was covered in armor plates or osteoderms, with bony half-rings covering the neck, and had a large club on the end of its tail. Bones in the skull and other parts of the body were fused together, increasing their strength, and this feature is the source of the genus name.

Ankylosaurus is considered the most prominent and representative armored dinosaur.

IN JURASSIC WORLD

Length: 9 meters.

Height: Between 2,5 to 3 meters.

Weight: 8 tons.

Diet: Herbivore.

Aggressiveness: 🟢 Passive.

When "Jurassic Park" existed, it was not planned to add Ankylosaurus to the park, due to the lack of DNA of this species, but for reasons that were classified, Ankylosaurus was cloned illegally on Sorna Island, which escaped through the incident of the installations of the aforementioned island, it is unknown how many copies were secretly cloned.

After a while, the surviving Ankylosaurus from Sorna Island were transferred for their exivition in "Jurassic World"

After the move to Isla Nublar, the Ankylosaurus were released into their suitable habitats to co-exist with other species. More than 6 specimens were transferred to the island, but after a while the calculations indicated that there were more than 14 specimens, this is due to the excessive cloning of the species for its exhibition in Jurassic World, there are currently more than 23 specimens. most in a state of development (sub-adults and hatchlings).

LAST MINUTE UPDATE

Many fights have been reported between Ankylosaurus and Stegosaurus, the reasons why these species fight is due to lack of coexistence or because they simply do not get along with each other, this is a problem for the coexistence of these animals, since injuries are reported serious due to fights, bone fractures and serious cuts in the vast majority of Stegosaurus and leg fractures and bleeding in Ankylosaurus, these events have caused the death of many specimens of both species, after these incidents, there is no longer planned add Ankylosaurus and Stegosaurus together in the same habitat.

In Jurassic World we have 17 specimens of Ankylosaurus, previously I mentioned that there were more than 23 specimens, but due to the incidents of the fights between Ankylosaurus and Stegosaurus, the species reduced a part of its specimens, dying the majority.

The Ankylosaurus is one of the strongest and most physically characteristic dinosaurs, this species is very different from its real counterpart, even being twice as strong as a real Ankylosaurus.

As a first piece of information, we know that the cloned specimens have dimensions of 9 meters in length, between 2.5 and 3 meters in height and weigh 8 tons. And its real counterpart was much smaller than the previous one, with dimensions of 6.25 meters long, between 1.7 to 2 meters high and weighing 6 tons. The difference is very noticeable, the cloned specimens are much larger than their real counterparts, this surprised the scientists, since they did not expect them to be larger than normal.

A very big fact about the Ankylosaurus from Jurassic World is that it is much stronger and more resistant, but first, its real counterpart was much smaller and had a common and minimal defense, that it did not need to be so resistant to survive, and the cloned specimens they are more than just an animal with defense, they are like war tanks, the cloned specimens have much more resistant armor than their real counterpart, and despite being heavier and more resistant they also have the ability to run at more than 32 km / h ( 8.8 m/s), which made them very dangerous animals in the herds, something that their real counterpart could not do, as it is rumored that the real counterpart ran at least 20 km / h (5.5 m/s) which made it very slow compared to cloned specimens.

A very interesting fact is about the difference in life expectancy, it is rumored that the real counterpart had a life expectancy of at least 26 years, which made it a somewhat young animal at the time of death, something that cloned specimens they show the opposite, even doubling their life expectancy, since it was calculated that these specimens have a life expectancy of at least 40 years, which makes them one of the older animals in the park, there are records of this , a specimen of Ankylosaurus from the park died due to its advanced age, and the one that died at the age of 31 was clarified, and another such case was of another specimen, but this one unlike the previous one, died at the age of 43 years. We continue is researching the life expectancy of these animals.

The Ankylosaurus is one of the most emblematic dinosaurs of Jurassic World and now you know it in detail.

To finish with this great dinosaur I leave here the detailed image of the Ankylosaurus: