Allosaurus

INFORMATION

Name Meaning: Strange Lizard.

Period: Upper Jurassic (approximately between 161,2 to 145 million years).

Length: Between 8,5 to 10,5 meters.

Height: Between 2,5 to 3 meters.

Weight: Between 1,7 to 2,3 tons.

Diet: Carnivore.

Allosaurus is an extinct genus with four valid and several other possible species of allosaurid theropod dinosaurs, which lived at the end of the Jurassic period, approximately 161.2 and 145 million years ago, between the Oxfordiense and the Titoniense, in what is now North America and Europe.

The best known and the type species is Allosaurus fragilis from the United States, described in the 19th century, after this large number of species and even genera, which were proposed all over the globe without any of them ending up being fully accepted. In 2006, Allosaurus europaeus was described in Portugal, although it was only tentatively separated due to its geographical location and Allosaurus jimmadseni from the USA and the third species from the latter country, Allosaurus lucasi, in 2014. However, all of them have been disputed.

Unlike other earlier theropods, allosaurids were comparatively larger, with femurs up to 90 cm long for Allosaurus fragilis, and up to 113.5 cm for Allosaurus maximus, suggesting maximum lengths between 8.5 and 10.5 cm. meters, however, they share anatomical features with other more basal theropods.

It was a bipedal carnivore with massive claws and legs, balanced by its heavy tail. Its curved skull fitted with serrated teeth, also had irregular low ridges above and in front of the eyes.

Despite being a fearsome, relatively large hunter, it did not weigh as much, being comparable in mass to a modern Indian rhinoceros.

Its skull had a fairly low bite power for an animal of its size (360 kilograms) and was even weaker than that of a lion (480 kilograms), so it is believed that this animal did not attack like the Tyrannosaurus, it attack at great speed, with his mouth open and he sank his teeth with great force into the meat, in short, he did not attack like the Tyrannosaurus, he had a tactic of attacking with his skull with a maneuver very similar to that of using an ax.

Despite not having the characteristics of Tyrannosaurus or Carnotaurus, it is a very agile and strong predator, most likely the largest predator in its environment in the Jurassic era.