Pentaceratops

INFORMATION

Name Meaning: Face with Five Horns.

Period: Upper Cretaceous (approximately between 75 to 73 million years).

Length: Between 6 to 8 meters.

Height: Between 3,5 to 4 meters.

Weight: Between 4 to 5 tons.

Diet: Herbivore.

Pentaceratops is a genus represented by two species of ceratopsid dinosaurs, which lived at the end of the Cretaceous period, approximately 75 to 73 million years ago, during the Campaniense, in what is now North America.

The Pentaceratops was about 6 meters long and it is estimated that it weighed around 5 tons. It had a short nose horn, two long forehead horns, and long horns on the jugal bones. Its skull had a very long frill with triangular horns on the edge. Pentaceratops lived between 76 and 73 million years ago and its remains have been found mainly in the Kirtland Formation in the San Juan Basin in New Mexico.

The Pentaceratops is very similar to the Triceratops, but not as much as the Torosaurus, this species is best recognized by its large frill that protruded from the top of the animal's skull, which makes it look different from other ceratopcids, and what It is characterized by its large horns, having a total of 5 horns that protrude from the head, which gives it its name. 

A very surprising dinosaur that for many is their favorite, knowing how its characteristics are, it is probably a little stronger than the Triceratops, but that is under investigation, many say yes, while others say no, well, let's leave it to science confirm.

IN JURASSIC WORLD

Length: Between 5 to 6 meters.

Height: 3,5 meters.

Weight: 4 tons.

Diet: Herbivore.

Aggressiveness: 🟤 Territorial.

Pentaceratops was recently added to the park, because it was difficult to extract its DNA, and added to the "Triceratops Territory" and "Gentle Giants" attractions, (The latter being updated later).

Pentaceratops is a very social dinosaur with other dinosaurs of its own species and even other different species, but that does not make it a docile dinosaur, levels of fury have been reported in specimens of Pentaceratops when being close to other dinosaurs, this is due to that it has been clarified that Pentaceratops is a very territorial dinosaur, which has hindered the adaptation and behavior of the species.

Pentaceratops is a very territorial dinosaur, what has made it difficult for us to keep this species calm. And how is this species so hostile to other dinosaurs?

There is still no exact answer as to why Pentaceratops has become very territorial and aggressive with other dinosaurs, it is believed that because it does not feel comfortable with other dinosaurs that are not of its species or because it is simply not a dinosaur that coexists with other dinosaurs. This answer is still under investigation.

At the moment the Pentaceratops species has been kept under surveillance due to the aforementioned issue, we do not want one of these specimens to be the one that causes a disaster in the park.

LAST MINUTE UPDATE

A Ceratosaurus escaped from its enclosure and went to the area of the Triceratops Territory, and it was when 4 specimens of Pentaceratops were exposed to the escape of the Ceratosaurus, which caused these specimens to start fighting against the animal, which caused the death of the Ceratosaurus and large injuries in 2 specimens of Pentaceratops, this caused the attraction of "Triceratops Territory" to be closed for a long time due to the incident, while all the specimens of Pentaceratops were transferred to quarantine due to the aggressive behaviors recorded.

In Jurassic World, the Pentaceratops is one of the most dangerous herbivorous dinosaurs in the park due to its aggressiveness, and at the same time, one of the dinosaurs with very few differences from its real counterpart, being also one of the most similar dinosaurs to real life, so far 8 specimens have been cloned, but all were removed from all attractions and taken to quarantine due to behavior.

As a first fact, the cloned Pentaceratops have been considerably similar in size to their real counterpart, having dimensions of between 5 to 6 meters in length, 3,5 meters in height and weighing 4 tons, while their real counterpart has dimensions of between 6 to 8 meters in length, between 3,5 to 4 meters in height and a weight of between 4 to 5 tons, now that we know this, we can realize that the cloned specimens are minimally similar in measurements to their actual counterpart.

An important fact about Pentaceratops is that it is one of those that look very similar to its real counterpart, but there is something curious. The DNA of the cloned specimens is not pure, so other types of DNA had to be combined to complete the genetic sequence. But they were never expected to look very realistic, which surprised the vast majority of scientists to learn this.

Something that almost nobody knows about the cloned specimens is that a genome was added to them for their growth, which would cause them to reach maturity in less than 9 years, which would also generate problems in long-term life expectancy, due to that can grow very fast and they could die in less than 16 years, this has led us to investigate more about the life expectancy of cloned specimens.

Unfortunately, the cloned specimens are no longer exhibited in the attractions of the park due to their level of aggressiveness, but at least you already know it, here is a detailed image of this species: