Chapter 2: Feeling Her (Melissa)

I grabbed my coffee off the small countertop and sprinted out of our shitty studio apartment in Harlem. It wasn't my choice to live here but with rent prices in the city, we had to settle. I'd just have to take into account the extra travel time and that wasn't going to be any fun. 

Trying not to miss a step, I ran down 4 flights of stairs at almost catastrophic speed to catch the train, I finally made it outside cursing the droplet of sweat that was beginning to fall down my face in hopes that it wouldn't ruin my foundation. The last thing I needed today was a makeup mishap.

As soon as I stepped outside, I was greeted by the roaring buzzing sounds of the city. The city everyone aspired to be in. It kind of hits you in a way you'd never expect. You realize you're insignificant in the swarm of millions, a face no one will remember because nobody is looking. For someone like me, it was exactly where I needed to be. It brought me comfort to know I was just another in the crowd. A random face. Someone nobody would recognize. 

The back of my ankles were painfully chafing against my heels as I picked up my step and I could feel the panic start to rise. I just needed to breathe. I stopped for a second to catch my breath, realizing I was only two blocks away from the E train. If I didn't make it there in the next five minutes, I'd be fucking late and I knew I could kiss that job goodbye. Nobody hires you if you're late. The pit in my stomach dropped lower as I scurried my way past the second block regretting the extra minutes I spent dwelling on my nightmare. I was about to fumble the opportunity of a lifetime. 

By the grace of god, the trains were on my side today running just two minutes late. Just in time for me to run down the last block, swipe my metro-card and hop right on. Of course, the cart I chose was packed, forcing me to grab the hand rail and stand for the remainder of the ride, which was already too long of a fucking ride for me with my anxiety pooling inside.

 Once everyone made their way into the cart, I heard the automated doors close and we were on our way. I felt my phone buzzing in my pocket when I reached to check the name on the caller id surprised that I'd even managed to get signal underground. 

Once I saw the name pop up on my phone screen, my stomach dropped even lower. It was him. Mr. Thomas Shaw.  My new boss. My mind flew in a million different directions.

It was pretty unexpected since I knew he wasn't going to ask about my whereabouts, it's not like I was late, at least not yet. I checked the watch my mother had given me and read 9:43 am. That meant I still had 17 minutes to get to the building. With the worries easing away, I clicked the little green button and curiously answered, waiting to hear his voice on the other line.

"Hello?," I said, in a voice too small for this city. I hoped he didn't think I was a pushover. First impressions are lasting and I was already fucking mine up.

"Good Morning, Ms.Maddox, please hold for Mr. Shaw." Thank fucking god. Having his assistant answer meant I was going to get my first impression do-over and I for sure wasn't going to fuck this one up. Being so worried about it, it completely dawned on me that I should be the one answering his calls. I was his fucking assistant? Unless he already managed to hire someone else. Which I really hoped wasn't the case.

Hoping he wasn't already pushing me to the bottom of his list, I waited for what felt like hours for him to pick up his end of the line. It felt so long, I almost forgot I was on the phone until I heard the voice that nearly tore through my screen. The authority in his voice was like nothing I'd ever heard before. It was the type of voice you want to follow blindly. The type that excites you, enthralls you and devastates you all in one. I couldn't help but quiver as I vividly paid attention to what he would say next. 

To my disarray, it wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear.

"Ms. Maddox, you're late."

His voice enveloped me instantly and every muscle in my body tightened to an almost excruciating cramp. It bled power. Deep & Raw. It was the kind of voice that demanded attention, the kind that expects it, commands it.