Chapter 29: Losing Her Pt. 2 (Thomas)

It felt like I had been walking for hours with my clothes drenched in blood. I didn't care, I needed to find her. The island wasn't very big but there were a lot of places to hide. I couldn't begin to imagine what was running through Melissa's head. A mix of worry and fear. Fear that her father would get to her, fear that this whole time I had been deceiving her and worry that she'd get caught. I should have never looked for her. I should have never brought her within my reach. If I hadn't, she would have never crossed paths with Kal again and he would have never known where she was.  

I was getting closer to the airport when I saw the door of a little cottage fly open. It was the cottage Jace would use when I'd ask him to wait for me on the island prior to my arrival. I knew he wasn't there because I had sent him back to escort the housekeepers. Fuck, I'd have to get rid of Kal's body before that happened. 

It was getting darker as the clock reached 9pm. I could barely see into the cottage as I hid behind a palm tree, trying to see if I'd find Melissa through the window but I was too far. I began walking towards it hoping I'd find her inside. Once I reached the window, I could see Melissa in the corner of the room, rocking back and forth with her arms around her knees and her head buried in between them. I could hear the relic of her sobs. She must have been crying for hours.

Reluctantly, I stood by the doorway and knocked once. 

"Melissa.. Please...", I knocked again. "Please, let me in." I hoped that a shred of her intuition knew that I was being genuine. That I loved her and wanted to protect her. I'd explain everything. "Melissa, please."

"Go away! I never want to see you again."

I asked her to open the door as a courtesy. I could've gotten in regardless, it was my island. I had a key. I took it out from my pocket and proceeded to unlock the door when I heard her immediately stand up. I opened the door slowly and met her eyes from across the room. They were bloodshot and bruised. Her eyes looked swollen from the crying and her skin looked prickly and purple. I wanted to go back and slash Kal's repulsive body again for doing this to her. 

"Melissa, let's talk please. Give me a chance, I just need you to hear me out." She finally lifted her head.

"You fucking played me from the start. Was this your whole plan? Hide my father out here, get me to fall in love with you so you could bring me straight to him?"

"No, Melissa, no."

"Stop fucking lying to me!," she raised her voice in between her sobs. "You're his best friend, you've met me before! You fucking knew who I was before I even walked through the door! This whole fucking time."

"Yes, Melissa, I knew who you were. I met you when you were a child."

She scoffed. "You're sick, just like my fucking father."

"Listen to me," I sternly spoke. I was going to get her attention one way or the other. "Yes, I knew you "killed" Kal. Or, at least that you tried to but I had no fucking idea that he was raping his own fucking daughter. I thought you killed him for no reason and I wanted to put you in jail."

"You were going to set me up? What the fuck?," She ran towards me and punched me right in the face busting open my lip. I took my thumb and brushed it over my bottom lip looking at the blood she just drew. 

"Yes, I was going to set you up. I thought you belonged in jail." 

"Fuck you," she spat back out at me. It hurt, seeing Melissa's animosity towards me was beginning to kill me. 

"Melissa, I didn't know Kal was alive." I waited for her response but her phone started ringing. She picked it out from her pocket and answered the call. 

"Mila?" 

I began walking closer to her to be able to hear the conversation I knew she wasn't going to share with me. I was able to make out the little words as I could hear Mila yelling through the phone. 

"The police! They brought me in for questioning yesterday, they know where you are. Thomas, he turned you in. Meli, run, please." 

No, no, no. Melissa quickly looked up at me, her eyes forming even bigger puddles. 

"You, you turned me in?"

"Melissa, we have to go, please, hurry."

"You fucking turned me in, you fucking asshole! I hate you, I hate you," she began beating into my chest. "I fucking hate you, how could you do this to me?"

My entire world was falling apart right in front of me. I tried grabbing her hands but she was moving too rapidly. 

"Melissa, please." Before I could get a grip on her hands she ran outside, bolting through the door. I quickly followed to see her stuck in place with her feet glued to the ground. 

There had to be 20 of them. All SWAT with their guns ready to fire. 

"Melissa Harper, don't move." 

I watched as they began inching closer to her, their guns drawn. Melissa was stuck in place with her arms up in the air and all you could see were the tears falling down her face. She turned to look back at me and her face crushed my entire soul. All I could see was hate and deception. 

I could barely see through their flashlights and the roaring sound of a helicopter flying above us. My breath was beginning to shorten. I wasn't even thinking about the lifeless corpse I had just murdered. I didn't care if I got caught. But, Melissa, she didn't deserve this. She didn't even kill him. I did. 

They finally reached her and slammed her into the ground attempting to fasten the handcuffs over her already bloody wrists. I hated that they were shackling her. She had had enough of that. 

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you?"

I watched as her face was pushed against the grass outside of the tiny little cottage. I wanted to rip his fucking hands off. 

He finally took off his ski mask and his helmet and when he looked up, I realized it was my cousin Mike who was arresting her. 

He met my eyes and smiled. "Thanks, Thomas. We wouldn't have caught her without you."

Melissa's face grew even colder as she looked at me. "Cousin Mike, huh?"

All I could see was the vengeance in her eyes. I was going to fucking kill Mike, she was never going to forgive me. So, I broke my silence.

"Let her fucking go, she didn't kill him. I did."