Surface Cracks

1 am update!

Warning: This chapter contains some pretty heavy topics of suicidal tendencies and depression. It also touches on loneliness, regret, and emptiness. Furthermore, there are physical responses to trauma. Please read carefully and message me if you ever need to talk, loves.

Before we begin, I wanted some of your input regarding Niall's character.

In the original story, he was very involved in everything, but that really makes no sense to me anymore. I wanted your thoughts and feelings on Niall having a MUCH smaller role in this rewrite. What do you think? I was thinking he doesn't really get too involved but is mentions often, and the second book would be where he really comes in, but idk.

Let me know your feelings, PLEASE!

Now, without further ado, you may read. :)

Chapter 12:

     Sitting in the chair in front of the camera again wasn't something I welcomed, but at least Vince wasn't involved in the process. Without him present, would it be possible to escape?

    I watched as Louis set everything up in the room, the camera pointing at me without recording just yet. The look on his face was unreadable as usual, and he only spoke when ordering Zayn or Liam to do something. He was all about the business at hand. He needed the money, too, though I had no clue why. It wouldn't be easier to escape just because Vince was gone. Louis was the one who made it tricky.

    "Did you figure out a way to convince your parents pay?" Louis asked, finally looking at me as everything was finished being set up.

    I gave a single nod of my head as confirmation. I was pretty sure, however, that my parents would still be stubborn. Therefore, I decided to take a different approach to this. I came up with a new plan for the video as well as a new plan to escape.

    It all revolved around Louis. Liam wouldn't leave without Louis and Zayn, he was far too loyal to them. Zayn listened to Louis and clearly cared for Liam. And Louis listened to Vince, but Vince wasn't here. It would be the perfect opportunity to see what made Louis tick. He had to know that he was stronger than Vince. All of the power was actually in his hands. I had to work with that.

    "Okay. As soon as that red light turns on, you can begin. Just do what you're told, Harry. Nothing more, nothing less. Keep it short and simple."

    Louis moved behind the camera, pressing the record button. I took notice of the red light flashing on, and I looked straight down the lens, ignoring the presence of the three other men in the room.

    "Hello, I'm Harry Styles," I began, using the right amount to tremble in my voice to emote fear. "As you all know by now, I have been taken from my home and kept here. I... I don't know where I am," I choked out, forcing tears to spring forth from my eyes, "but I miss my home. I miss my family, and I miss my friends."

    I paused, taking a moment to look down at my lap, hoping people would sympathize with my vulnerable state-- my hands tied to the chair and hair in a disheveled state. I was probably a lot paler now without sunlight, not that I ever went out often beforehand.

    "Mum. Dad," I cried as I looked back up at the camera, going for pure terror and hysteria, "I want to come home, please!"

    I saw someone flinch at the corner of my eyes, and I glanced over to see that it was Zayn. Keeping the look of sorrow in my eyes, I used the glance off screen to my advantage.

    "Money. Th-they want money. But I... I don't want to hurt you or our business." Wording was important here. Crucial. "We have friends. They say they'll only let me go once they get their money. If anyone can help... please, can anybody help. Please...." I trailed off in a broken whisper before breaking down in tears.