Chapter 6: Asta's Training

(Asta's p.o.v.)

After 5 months since I started training under Urokodaki, and it's been rough just like he said it would be. He had me running down the mountain everyday, and after a month I learned how to improve my ability to sense Ki and avoid all the traps. But as I was getting used to the traps, Urokodaki started to make them more deadly. Knives flying at me, pitfalls having blades at the bottom, I was beginning to think that he was out for blood. Then, about 2 week prior, he gave me a sword and told me to run down the mountain carrying it. The sword made it harder to run and I got caught in all the traps. Also, running down the mountain wasn't the only thing Urokodaki told me to do with the sword. When I got down, I had to swing the sword a thousand times, it felt like my arms were going to fall off. When I finally started to get use to the 1000 swings, he told me to do 500 more. I can't tell you how hard it was to lift my arms when training was over for the day. I was finished my two routines, when Urokodaki moved on to the next lesson: sword training.

  "Swords are fragile weapons. Though strong along the edge of the blade, swords are very weak on the flat. So you must apply the force where it's strongest. Watch closely." Urokodaki said as he moved over to three tatami mats that were standing up straight. He raised his sword and performed a diagonal slash, cutting through all three mats. He then sheathed his sword and said, "The direction the blade is facing and the direction you swing must be exactly the same. And be warned, if you ever break your sword, I'll break every bone in your body." I became afraid at the last part and nodded like crazy. After that was said and done, Urokodaki taught me the basic moves of using the type of sword the slayers use: a katana. He taught the slashes, blocks, thrust, and how to Parry an attack. Once I memorized them all, we did some sparring where we used wooden swords. I block, attack, parry and counter everything he throws at me, well almost everything, some of his attacks get past my guard and hit me. At first he started at moderate speed, easy for anyone to keep up with, but later on he sped up until I couldn't follow his movements, as for me I could only land 2 blows.

  3 weeks later, Urokodaki began training me to fall as softly as possible, so I could get back up quickly from any position. He was unarmed, while I charge at him with my sword raised, trying to kill him. He was so strong I get thrown over his shoulder every time, and I rolled on the ground. I got the hang of it after 2 weeks.

My next lesson was about the breathing techniques and fighting forms. "Asta, this is where I start teaching you Total Concentration Breathing." I asked puzzled, "Total Concentration Breathing?" "Yes, also I'm going to teach you all 10 water breathing forms. Total Concentration Breathing, is an esoteric breathing technique taught to all members of the Demon Slayer Corps. The user inhales the maximum amount of oxygen within e specific breathing pattern to increase their physical and mental prowess to their utmost limits.
The effects include a large amount of physical and mental abilities, such as strength, speed, durability and stamina. You will see what I mean as you practice." I nodded and said, "How do I do it?" Urokodaki replied, "Start by taking a long, deep breath. So, the oxygen flows into every cell of your body. This will enhance your healing ability and stabilize, as well as energize, your spirit. Relax your arms and shoulders, but keep your lower body braced." I relax my arms and shoulders and braced my lower body like he said. "Good. Now breathe." I took a long deep breathe through my mouth and exhaled the same way, but then I felt something hit my stomach. It was Urokodaki giving me a sucker punch in the gut as he said, "Wrong!" I winced in pain from the strike. "Next, the forms." He said. He taught me one form at a time, and each one of them required me to brace my stomach. If I didn't brace it, Urokodaki would yell at me and clobber me to a pulp. It was very difficult, but I managed to get them all right after 2 months, the forms and breathing technique.

The next lesson was becoming one with the water. Urokodaki brought me to the top of a large waterfall near the mountain and told me to meditate in the stream and under the fall. I looked over the edge and he kicked me off as he said, "Get in already." I obviously screamed as I fell in. I swam up stream, and meditated under the waterfall and became one with the water itself, it's rather difficult to describe, so I won't do so other than the fact it took me 3 months to finally master it.

The next lesson was about blocking incoming projectiles with my sword. That part wasn't very hard. After training to sense Ki better, I was able to master that lesson in one month.

After a whole year of training with Urokodaki, he said to me, "I have taught you everything I can. Now there is one last test left for you to take before you can take Final Selection." Final selection is an entrance exam for those who wish to join the Demon Slayer Corps. It's a very dangerous process, and many who take it have died. He told me about at some point in training. And at that point, he was giving me one last test to see if I was ready for the danger.