Chapter 26: To Clover

(Liebe's p.o.v.)

The next day, Master Kagaya and the us Hashira resumed the meeting, and after discussing the matter further. Master announced, "I had received some recent reports this morning regarding the demons. It would appear that their number are increasing in Clover Kingdom, the other countries are still at a manageable number for the lower rank Demon Slayers. With this in mind, I will station four of you in Clover and you will receive your assignments via Kasugai Crow as per usual. As for who will be sent, they will be, Asta, Liebe, Sanemi, and Iguro." We were honored that he chose the four of us, but there was something I was curious about. "Thank you for entrusting us with this task, Master Kagaya. But I'm curious, why chose us?" I asked. He answered, "From what I've heard, Asta was originally from Clover Kingdom. Though it was at a young age, he would still know a thing or two about the area he lived in. I believe he could of think of a few places to set up a base camp. And as for the rest of you, you have known Asta and fought alongside him before, and you all work well with each other, and, if by chance one of the 12 Kizuki should appear there, teamwork will be very necessary." I understood his reasoning, and honestly I thought it was the right call. I responded, "That is a wise decision, Master Kagaya." He nodded and announced, "As for the other seven, I'd like you all to help train the lower ranks so that you may they may have a better chance at surviving against the currently growing demons." We all bowed and said, "We will not let you down, Master!" He smiled and declared, "That is all, this meeting is adjourned." We all stood up and we all prepared to leave and carry out our orders.

  Sanemi, Iguro, Liebe, and I were standing outside, getting ready to head out towards Clover Kingdom, and thankfully I still had the warding mask that Urokodaki gave me before I went to Final Selection. Why you ask was this a good thing? It's because I was able to hide my identity from Yuno and the others at the Church in Hage village, because the place I had in mind for a base camp was outside Hage village, since it's in the Forsaken Realm, which is easier for demons to hide and not many people to worry about if a fight breaks out. Knowing Yuno, Father Orsi, and Sister Lily, they'll probably hound me until they convince me to come back with them, which will not happen. Plus, they would just get in the way.

Sanemi said, "Alright, let's get moving." The three of us nodded and began our journey to Clover Kingdom. On the way there, Iguro asked me, "Asta, what Master said about you being from Clover, is it true?" I looked at him and replied, "I am, but I left when I was 6 years old. And I don't have many good memories of the place." "What do you mean?" He asked, which reminded me of something. "Oh right, I guess I never told you, huh?" I said. Iguro replied, "Told me what?" "The reason he left Clover Kingdom to become a Demon Slayer." We looked to see that it was Sanemi who said that. "I told Sanemi when we first met during Final Selection, Kyojuro, Shinobu, and Mitsuri too. And I guess it's time I tell you my story as well." I told him about my life in Hage village, how the villagers bullied and mocked me, and about the people at the local church tried to convince me to give up on trying to get stronger. I even told him about how I met my teacher, Urokodaki, and why I wanted to be a Demon Slayer. Iguro replied, "I see, sorry you had to go through all that as a kid." I said, "Don't be. Anyway, since we're going to Clover, I'm concerned about Yuno and the others at the church trying to get me to come back with them if they find out I'm in the country." Sanemi replied, "They won't know if you hide your face." "Precisely why I'm gonna wear my warding mask in public, so they can't see my face." I said as I pull out my mask. Iguro asked, "I've been meaning to ask you about that, where did you get that anyway?" I replied, "It was a graduation present from my master. He gave it to me before I went to Final Selection, said that it was enchanted with a protection spell to keep me safe." Sanemi said, "If I remember right, your teacher is Sakonji Urokodaki, yeah?" I nodded in reply. He stated, "From what I've heard, Urokodaki had lost so many of his students when they took Final Selection, I hear he lost 13 in total." I replied, "When I first started training under him, he told me that he lost many of his students and that he didn't want me to die too. So, knowing that, I can understand why he would want to make sure his pupils stay safe. I keep this mask not just for my teacher's sake, but also as a reminder." Iguro and Sanemi asked puzzled, "Reminder?" I replied, "A remainder of the day that I learned no longer the weak, magicless boy I used to be, the day I gained the power to pursue my lifelong dream: to be someone others can depend on, to be a protector of the innocent." The two of them and Liebe smiled at what I said. Iguro said, "You are the most humble person I had ever met, Asta. No wonder Shinobu and Mitsuri like you." "Yeah, with all the girls you unknowingly charm, I wouldn't be surprised if you had a harem by tomorrow." Sanemi and Iguro laughed at what Liebe commented on.

_______________________________________

  There is still time until a Asta ship is decided, so please cast your votes while you still can.