Chapter 18: Constant and Help

(Asta's p.o.v.)

I told Kanae and Shinobu about my devil, Liebe, and they were sympathetic to him as well. They said that they would support me in helping him, and I appreciated it very much. The following night I wrote a letter to the Master explaining what I learned about Liebe and requested that he would be allowed to join the Demon Slayer Corps. In the morning, I sent the letter via Kasugai Crow. Then, after breakfast I began my training to become a Hashira.

I was outside with Shinobu and Kanae, as they explained what I was going to do. Shinobu said, "Now, let's get down to business. Tell me Asta, have you ever thought about performing Total Concentration Breathing around the clock?" I was surprised that I never thought about that. "No, I never thought about it. Is that even possible?" I asked. "Yes, it is. In fact, all the Hashira can do it, and every Demon Slayer trained by a hashira. This technique is know as 'Total Concentration Constant'" Kanae explained. I replied, "Even doing that for just a little while takes a toll, but to do that 24/7? That's just insane." I said in disbelief. Shinobu said, "It's not possible to do right off the bat, but if you train very hard, you'll be able to master it." She reached behind her and pulled out a small orange gourd and handed it to me. I took it and asked, "What's this for?" Kanae explained, "During this training, we'll have you blow into gourds like these." I asked, "I'm not seeing the point here. What exactly is supposed to happen?" Shinobu answered, "You blow into the gourd to make it explode." I was again taken by surprise. I held up the gourd and knocked on it. "Something this hard?" I asked. "Yes, and the gourd gets bigger and tougher each time you make one blow up." Kanae replied. Shinobu said, "The one my sister is able to explode now...." She pointed to the veranda. I looked to see what she was pointing at and saw a huge gourd sitting on the veranda, and I mean it was up to my chin in height. "......is that big." Shinobu finished her sentence. I replied in disbelief, "She can make that explode just by blowing into it? No offense Kanae, I know your one of the strongest slayers in the Corps, but someone as delicate as you blowing that up with just lung power? That's hard to believe." Kanae put her left hand on her left cheek and said, "Oh, I'm flattered by your comment. And on a more serious note, it's true. I can show you if you like." I nodded in response because I had got to see it to believe. Kanae walked over to the big gourd and put it on the ground. She took a big, deep breath and blew into the gourd. Two seconds later, the gourd exploded, just like they said. I stood there, completely dumbfounded and shocked by what I had just witnessed. "The first thing you should do, is to do aerobic exercises to strengthen your lungs and do meditation to help master the way you breathe." I nodded in understanding. After that, I began training to master Total Concentration Constant, and it was very tough, I first tried it without training to see how difficult it was, and it felt like my lungs were going to explode. With this in mind, I began training my lungs and muscles to adapt to constantly using Total Concentration Breathing.

  A week after I began training, I received a message from Master Kagaya, it said that he wanted to talk to me in person to talk about Liebe. I left the Butterfly Mansion to go to headquarters the next morning. The Kakushi led me to the same meeting room that first met the leader of the Demon Slayer Corps. This time he was waiting in the room for me. I bowed and said, "It is good to see you again, Master." He replied, "Likewise, Asta. Please sit." I did as he said and he started off the conversation by saying, "Like I said in my letter, I'd like to talk more about your Devil, Liebe. I see no problems with allowing him to be trained and join our ranks, but the issue remains that he would need to be set free from the grimoire." I replied, "Indeed Master." "However, I may know of someone who can help with that." I look surprised and asked, "You do, master?" He explained, "Indeed I do, there is a magic knight of the Clover Kingdom who's family had been secretly studying and making contracts with devils for generations." I got curious about what he said so I asked, "May I ask, how do you know about this?" He answered, "Yes, you may. The Demon Slayer Corps has a very broad intelligence network, we know things that the general public and even governments do not. Now, this magic knight in question is reported to be the most talented member of his family's history. He is the current vice captain of the Black Bulls squad, his name is Nacht Faust. He may know of a way to release Liebe from your grimoire." The master gave me some rather interesting information, but I was lost about one thing, "Master, I'm bit lost right now. Why are you telling me this?" He explained, "You see son, I actually have contact with Vice Captain Faust. I will contact him and request his aid in helping you free Liebe. Though when he arrives, I wish to be there to meet Liebe, face to face." I was confused by the last part. I asked him, "You want to meet Liebe, master?" "Yes, I would like to meet my new child." I was surprised that he would call someone he has yet to meet 'his kid', especially a Devil. "Child?" He answered, "Yes, I see all the members of the Demon Slayer Corps as my children." I could only imagine what Liebe's reaction is at that moment. 'He's probably embarrassed right now.' I thought.