Chapter 13: First Assignment

(Asta's p.o.v.)

I donned on my demon slayer uniform, put my sword on my back and went to find Urokodaki. I found him in the forest training Giyuu. I walked up to him and he turned to see me wearing my uniform.

  He said, "I take it you just received your first assignment?" I nodded

  He said, "I take it you just received your first assignment?" I nodded. "Well then, be careful out there, Asta." He asked me. I replied, "Don't worry, I'm not going to die, you know better than anyone that I'm too stubborn to give up and die." He nodded and said, "You're right, I do. Now, go pursue your dream, Asta. And before you go, you'll need this." He handed me a bag of money. "That's 1000 yul, Use it sparingly." I nodded and said goodbye before turning around and leaving for my first job as a Demon Slayer.

(??? P.o.v.)

I had been witnessing the disappearances of my people for a month, and I haven't discovered the reason for it. I called for the leader of the Spirit Guardians to come to my palace. He opened the door and asked, "You summoned me, Princess?" I replied, "Yes, I'm sure you've heard about the recently disappearances of people on the northern border?" He said, "I have." "Well Gadja, I would like you to go and investigate the town and find the cause." Gadja replied, "As you wish." And he left to go on his mission. "Loropechka, are you sure it's wise to send Gadja alone? We don't yet know who or what is making people disappear, or how dangerous it could be." The one who asked the question was my dear friend, the Water Spirit, Undine. She was a very tall woman wearing a dress made of water. I answered her question, "True, but Gadja is the most powerful of the Spirit Guardians. Plus, if it is someone taking innocent people, sending more people might arouse suspicion." She said, "I see your point, I just hope that Gadja will be safe." She wasn't the only one who prayed for his safety.

  (Asta's p.o.v.)

It was noon and I just arrived at my destination after a week of running and walking. I wandered through the streets, trying to get a lay of the land before nightfall. I stopped by the market to buy myself some food, because I had already exhausted my rations by the time I got to the town. And yes, I packed rations before leaving Urokodaki's. Luckily, I got some money from my teacher before I left, so I didn't have to worry too much. I bought some meat from a butcher, before I left, they asked, "Excuse me, son. That uniform you're wearing, are you a Demon Slayer?" I was surprised that they knew about that, since only those who have encountered a demon know about the Corps. I answered, "Yes, I am. How did you know that?" He replied, "I was saved by a Demon Slayer when I was a boy. He wore the same clothes as you." 'That explains that.' I thought. "Tell me, are you here because of the missing people?" The butcher asked. I replied, "Not to make you panic, but yes." I knew that he already had a suspicion that a demon was responsible, so I confirmed his suspicion. He said, "I see, be careful out there and please avenge those people." I responded, "I will, I promise." I left, but little did I know that someone heard us.

  (Gadja's p.o.v.)

I had been in the border town for a week and hadn't found a trace. I was outside the front door of the local butcher shop when I heard the butcher say, "I see, be careful out there, and please avenge those people." I also heard the voice of a young boy reply, "I will, I promise." Seconds later, I saw a boy with ash blonde hair, green eyes, wearing unfamiliar clothing and a sword on his back. I was curious by what he meant by, 'avenge those people', I thought that that boy knew something about the recent disappearances. So, I decided to trail him to see what he knows. After all, it was the best lead I had gotten.

  (Asta's p.o.v.)

I've noticed for a while now that someone was following me, and it was starting to get on my nerves. I decided to confront my stalker by doing something I learned from hunting animals. Some animals, are smart they know your tracking them. So, they lead you out so far, loop around and get behind you. While you're following them, they're following you, and that's what I did. I ran forward, turned at the corner of the block, looped around through the alleyways and found myself behind my pursuer. I said, "Hey!" He spun around surprised. "Mind telling me why you're following me?" He was still in shock that a kid managed to outfox him. I said irritated, "You gonna tell me?" He snapped out of it and said, "Oh, I was outside the butcher shop when I heard you would 'avenge those people', I assumed that meant you knew what happened to them. I followed you to find out what you knew." I replied, "I understand your reasons, but I wish you would've asked me instead of following me. It was creeped me out." I told him to come with me, even though I was already irritated with him following me. We eventually got to the rural area of town, and I asked, "Why do you want to know more about the missing people?" He answered, "It was an order from the ruler of Heart Kingdom. My name is Gadja, leader of the Spirit Guardians." I introduced myself, "I'm Asta, a Demon Slayer." "Demon Slayer?" He asked. I explained what was responsible for the missing people, and why I was there. "So, the recent disappearances were caused by a demon?" He asked to confirm. I replied, "Yes, and this may seem ridiculous to you, but it doesn't make it any less true." He replied, "I'm not completely sure if you are telling me the truth, but I'll tag along with you tonight, so I can see the culprit with my own eyes." I nodded in agreement, and we waited until night before patrolling the streets for the demon.