Chapter 1

It was quiet in the Mei household. A very rare occasion, indeed. Usually her father would be experimenting and training her at this hour in the basement, or facility, is what she would call it.

Mei Kuryami, once an energetic, social butterfly. She was only 7, spending a year in grade school along with her twin sister. But after her quirk manifested into existence, she was immediately pulled out of her education.

She continued her work at home, leaving more time for her father to experiment on her quirk and use it only for his advantage. His creation, a creation that he had hoped would lead to the end of hero society.

Why couldn't he have chosen her sister? She had thought every day since she was taken out of grade school. It wasn't the best for her, but at least she wasn't home stuck with someone she considered a monster.

But, being the obedient little girl she was, she always complied, fully knowing the consequences he would put upon her if she was ever to disobey his orders.

A very miserable two years, full of harsh training, pain, and frustration. Poor little Mei could barely keep up with his work.

"Sir," Mei's sister, Mori, came into the room with bluntness. She was only 9. "I could be of use."

Mei laid on the table, her breathing was shaky, and tired. She had restraints on both her wrists and her ankles. Her father turned around to face his other daughter.

Her quirk had not developed, which she was disappointed and frustrated about. She knew she could be more of help than her useless sister. She was more of a listener, she didn't see her father as a parental figure, no. She was brainwashed into thinking he was her Boss.

It had always been like that. For Mei, it was implemented into her brain that she saw her own father as a parental figure just because of the faces she had gotten used to at school, but it was the same faces who had not gotten used to hers.

"I fear you are not ready for my experiments yet child,"

"I am strong enough. Why won't you believe in me?"

Her boss looked her in the eyes, furrowing an eyebrow. He only sighed, swiveling his chair back to face the motionless child on the table before him. "Very well. It will begin tomorrow."

"Thank you, sir."

Mori was confused as to why her boss had chosen someone weaker than her. She was only 9, yet possessed the skills and abilities that a Pro-Hero would normally have. She had trained endlessly with her mentors, Quirkless, in hopes to gain her Boss' approval, yet she had no avail.

He taught her well, but he was still more focussed on Mei, who was someone with a quirk. Someone with a quirk, and her competition.

Despite being sisters, Mori never saw Yami as one, but it was the opposite for her sister.

The harshful comments, the shoving and pushing, daily bullying from Mori to Yami, she was still persistent on showing to Mori she saw her as family. Because a family is what Yami always wanted, it was something she dreamed of ever since she was only a toddler.

Yami still had a bright personality, even though not being liked throughout her one year of grade school. She made it the best year for herself, and not even Mori could stop her from completing her goal. She was unstoppable, determined for a little 7 year old.

However, her social butterfly slowly began to crumble and fall apart once she was taken in.

She was not happy, though her father was. Not out of family love, or proudness of his daughter, but only for the reason that his creation was beginning to become stronger by the day.

It was not about being a family, it never was. It was only about power.

It was on that peaceful night where Yami's life had changed.

The cool air breeze flew through her window, lightly brushing the hair off her face, landing on her pillow. She shuffled a bit from the sudden wake from the wind, turning to her other side.

She winced in pain from just one move. Her left temple was making her suffer, after implementing the red chip. She was wildly uncomfortable, but she had to sit through the pain. If she was seen as weak, her father might disapprove and toss her aside. Where would she go then?

Even if she were to escape, she would always be with her. No matter what.

Because Mori was now a part of her, warped into the little chip, and able to control whenever her father wanted, but she's learning to come out on her own now.

A tear fell from her eye, sliding down her cheek and onto her pillow. It was normal for her to cry, a little torn 9 year old sobbing quietly in bed. She just wished to feel loved, is all. She only wanted some freedom in her life. She never had the choice whether or not to become a hero, and she did. She did want to become a hero, but that was never going to be a reality.

Her father was a twisted man. But it was a peaceful night because she was home alone.

SMASH.

The loud crash came from downstairs. Yami immediately got up from her bed, pulling her covers over her small body. Her guard was immediately put up. She was surprised Mori hasn't put herself into control yet.

In any case, she was trained to use her quirk to defend herself if anyone tried to break into the house while he was gone.

Yami summoned a small part of her quirk, Dark Matter. It had many capabilities, but very little yet deadly consequences if overused. She had learned that the hard way.

A quirk, meant for villains, is something she's been told her entire life. 'You are a villain.' etched into her brain, but every time she would refuse to believe it. She did not want to become a villain.

What if they were heroes? Coming to save me? She had thought.

She still sat in bed, arms wrapped around her legs, waiting for something to happen. but not long after she had put her head in between her legs for comfort, her bedroom door had opened. She looked up, and saw several people standing by her doors.

Police Officers.

From behind them, emerged a man in a suit. He did not look dangerous to Yami, so she softened herself a little.

He walked up to her bedside very carefully, kneeling down to meet her eye level.

Through the moonlight shined through her window, illuminating the man's face. It was a gentle look on his face, "We're not here to hurt you, I promise,"

She could feel another tear fall down her face. Vulnerability.

"Please save me."

"Come on kid, we're getting you out of here,"

Little did she know that the people who had taken her in were none other than members of the Commission.