Chapter 27

Yami's POV

"Well, would you look at that folks! Midoriya came in first place with Mei right behind him!"

My arms supported my weight as I had my hands kept on my knees, breathing heavily and deep. A single droplet of sweat had rolled off the side of my head and onto the grass.

I scored second place in the first part of the festival, and just barely.

It felt like I was on the verge of death.

The headache moderately subsided, and I could somewhat think straight. However, the memory gaps were still present and I couldn't help but feel a little frustrated.

"Hey Mei..." I looked up to face Midoriya who looked equally exhausted as I was. He did have to sprint for a while and not use his quirk to outrun all of us. "You were amazing out there, great job!"

I smiled as I let out another tired breath. I stood up, "Thanks Midoriya, you did a pretty solid job out there too! Nice plan with the explosion on the landmine field."

The boy nervously looked away, then down at his hand. He observed it, wanting to say something.

"W-Well, it didn't have anything to do with my quirk plus it was just pure luck that I was able to be launched towards the front and not to the side or anything..."

I crossed my arms to keep my balance from falling over, "Even if you didn't use your quirk, it was still quick thinking. That's an admirable trait for a future hero."

I reassured Midoriya as he became extremely flustered at my compliment. I lightly laughed at the way he acted, "R-Really? Thank you, Mei!"

"The first game is finally over for the first years and what a game it was!" Midnight had announced as the last of the contestants made it to the finish.

I noticed both Bakugo and Todoroki were distanced, both looking tired but also frustrated.

"Let's take a look at the standings now, shall we?"

Obstacle Race Placings:

1. Midoriya Izuku

2. Mei Kurayami

3. Todoroki Shoto

4. Bakugo Katsuki

5. Honenuki Juzo

6. Iida Tenya

7. Tokoyami Fumikage

8. Sero Hanta

9. Kirishima Eijiro

10. Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu

11. Ojiro Mashirao

12. Awase Yosetsu

13. Asui Tsuyu

14. Shoji Mezo

15. Sato Rikido

16. Uraraka Ochaco

17. Yaoyorozu Momo

18. Mineta Minoru

(and so on...)

"The top 42 are the only ones who are able to advance to the next round but don't worry if you didn't make the cut. There will be plenty of opportunities for you to shine."

I stood next to Midoriya with the rest of the qualified competitors, anxiously waiting for the next game to be announced.

"Now, we're really starting to begin with the next game potentially having you in the limelight, so give it your best!"