Chapter 21

Yami's POV

Todoroki was the first to make his move. Sending an ice wall in my direction. I quickly avoided it by jumping in the air and using my quirk to fly. It wasn't a large one, just enough to attempt to mobilize me.

I jumped from my position on the slanted ice wall, and slid down towards him. Todoroki still stood below me and noticed me rapidly coming toward him. I extended my dark matter and controlled it to fly down to grab him.

But as I reached the base of his ice wall, he quickly slid away, creating more ice under his feet to swerve out of the way. He was fast and sure was clever. No wonder he got recommended into U.A.

I hopped off and turned towards him, who was ready to send another ice wall at me.

"You sure are fast Todoroki..." He focused on my figure and was just about to release more ice from his feet, but to his surprise, "But you're not fast enough." I was a good distance behind him, enough to use my dark matter to get ahold of him.

The dark matter was quick and grabbed his right leg, something I aimed for. If I got ahold of his right leg, he wouldn't make contact with the ground, and I would use more dark matter to wrap him so he would be unable to move. I had to keep him off the ground, that was my plan.

I underestimated how fast he would react to the rope of darkness wrapped around his ankle, he quickly distanced himself from me with a small ice path, and I stumbled back a little.

He struggled to stabilize himself after the quick retreat of my quirk. I could fly over and surprise him from the air, but that would only drain myself more from my quirk.

I noticed all his strategies were to retreat and just use his ice to immobilize me. He wasn't using his left side at all so far.

I was the one who was constantly chasing after him to win in this session. He was making no effort to come after me to chase me.

From his standpoint, Todoroki's quirk could only be used in long-ranged attacks.

"This is getting repetitive," I told myself as I tried to retrieve him once more, but to no avail. He kept dodging backwards and sent the same ice wall at me.

But he surprised me with a second one straight after, a larger one. I attempted to shield myself by lifting up my arms, but suddenly...

I was surrounded by my own dark matter in a protective dome that left me with enough space to slightly move around. I could only see darkness, but I could certainly feel the cold. I was trapped in Todoroki's ice wall, and my own dark matter shielded the impact for me.

To be honest, I was taken aback a bit. I blinked to realize that my own quirk had a mind of its own and moved to protect me.

I quickly shook my head to rid my thoughts and had to break out of this trap before the timer runs out. I cleared the dome that surrounded me to see the ice that also surrounded my figure. It was like an indent in the wall. I didn't know my quirk was strong enough to make a lasting impact like this.

I emitted some dark matter from my hand, and held it out to the ice before me. I closed my eyes and concentrated.

It was a technique the Commission taught me, to let the matter seep through the particles until it reaches the other side, and like a grappling hook, it should give you a tug.

From there, let the strings of dark matter inside explode to make a tunnel and escape. The temperature of the dark matter should be hot enough to have the ice around me to melt. This would take up a lot of energy, but the result would be powerful enough.

I took a deep breath and tried to make the trip as quick as possible. My dark matter zig-zagged around and then I eventually sensed it stopped, pulling on my end a little.

I opened my eyes, and with another leash of energy from me, the walls of ice before me exploded. The width of the tunnel was enough for me to walk out of perfectly fine without having to worry about crouching down.

I retreated my dark matter back to my hands as I saw Todoroki standing on the other end of the tunnel I created, still ready to apprehend me.

"Bet you didn't know I could do that." I took a step and propelled myself forward to rapidly fly out the tunnel to grab him.

My ropes of black matter duplicated, like another pair of arms appearing from my back and looping around front to match the movements of my arms. I still had small dark matter orbs ready to be launched at Todoroki.

I reached the end of the tunnel, where he still wasn't moving. I was flying at him at a speedy pace, so when I released the first rope of dark matter from my arms at the half and half boy, he jumped out of the way.

I made an impact with the ground and rolled for a little. But I fixed my posture and stood up to face him once more.

I saw he used his left side to melt the ice wall next to me, making it turn back into mist. I looked up at the timer to see that quite some time had passed and there was a minute left to spare.

"I was just having my fun now..." I pouted and sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose. He relaxed his posture for a moment, and that was when I struck.

He thought the round was done and yet I emitted some dark matter and motioned it to grab him. Successfully, it wrapped around his entire body and lifted him off the ground, making him fly in the air. He desperately tried to free himself, but my quirk was wrapped around him ever so tightly, he couldn't escape.

It was like an extra arm that held his figure in the air. I walked closer to the boy, the dark matter lowering him down to my eye level, but not so much where he was able to touch the ground. I held him there until the timer was up.

I heard him let out a heavy sigh, probably tired with the effort he gave.

"You're not bad." He huffed as the system announced the end of the round.

"So are you." I gave him some credit. I released the boy with my quirk safely to the ground, arms still crossed. "And it's two weeks of this kind of training where I get ready to beat your ass."

"You're also too confident in yourself." Todoroki dusted his shirt and part of his joggers. His hands found the comfortable pockets once again and they never left. "Which you probably got from your brother too I assume."

"You know it!"

The session still ran on for another few rounds. Hours had already passed and with many cold ice traps and roped captures later, the final score was Todoroki with 3 wins and me having 4.

I let out a proud sigh and the room began to change back into the original setting it was before. We both walked towards the door to exit. "This'll probably be it for tonight. Did you at least let off some steam from whatever you were mad at earlier?"

I opened the door for him, and I closed up behind me. We were both side by side again as we walked down the hall back to the elevator.

"It was a good way to let my mind rest from the old man's usual lectures." He plainly said. "So I would like to thank you for inviting me."

I looked up at him after pressing the button to call for the elevator. "I was happy to offer! And delighted for you to even accept the offer in the first place." I nudged his shoulder lightly. He looked down at me to see my small smile.

The doors slid open for us to enter, and it was just us two once again.