Chapter 2 - Mixed Bat Signals

Chapter Song: Hot N Cold by Katy Perry

Evelyn
Tuesdays are weird.

One gets over the specific type of existential dread that can only occur on Sunday nights before the start of the week, then it's Monday. After Monday is conquered, then it's Tuesday. No one ever says, "Oh thank God it's Tuesday."

No. They say, "it's only Tuesday?"

I absolutely hated Tuesdays with a burning passion when I was in high school. Then again, in high school, every day felt like a Tuesday.

The last thing anyone wants to do is wake up at six a.m. to go to their first period Spanish and hear their teacher yell "HOLA CLASE!"

As someone who is fluent in Spanish, I could not stand when my teacher kept correcting me on my Spanish. The amount of arguments we got into over whether "pluma" or "bolígrafo" is the right word for pen are countless.

I have a routine where I sit in my car until the start of my shift and listen to music. When I'm bored, I like to create a playlist based on what I'm feeling or what I wish I feeling. Arguably the best part about playlists is naming them; the more unhinged, the better. I firmly believe that in another life I would either be a DJ or someone who creates playlists for movies. I'd probably get paid more than I do now.

~~~

Clairo's Beachside Café was never busy on Tuesdays, especially in summertime, my favorite time of the year. There was no school, just freedom and two and a half months of bliss. And good weather too.

I can't help but stare out of the storefront window at the beach not half a mile from where I stand. Maybe I'd sit on the sand with my toes in the water after work. I'm dressed for it anyway.

Today's warm weather allowed me to be flexible with my outfit. I put on a white Riley-collared tank top and a pair of light blue denim shorts with a light brown belt. I've found that that shirt looks very flattering with my black apron.

Honestly, it's not easy to find an outfit that works for me when I'm five foot two. The proportions are always off. The length of shirts and pants are always off. There's really no way to explain it properly. If you know, you know. If you don't, then lucky you.
However, I do recognize that tall people face the same problem as well. I understand their troubles.

To all the people who can go shopping and always find the right size clothes with the perfect fit, I hate you.

I like dressing up a little bit for work. I'm not trying to impress anyone, I just want to feel good. And if color coordinating my outfit helps with that, then I'll happily oblige.

Why not romanticize life? There's so much to focus on that'll get me down, and I just want to be happy.

For example, I set my alarm to go off to the song Golden by Harry Styles every morning. That's a sure fire guarantee that I wake up to something positive.

Even though Leah makes me want to jump into moving traffic sometimes, I love my job. Yes, I hate customer service, but I love meeting nice people. Seeing Eleanor every morning or seeing a couple so happy in love makes me happy.

I do wonder about mystery guy sometimes though.

Until I learn his name, I think I'll call him Batman. His voice was deep like Batman and he looked broody like Batman. It just works out perfectly.

It's been three days since I've seen Batman and I wonder how he's doing. Is he feeling better? Did my bad joke scare him away? No, it couldn't have. It was too good.