Chapter 31 - Fin(ally Redeeming My McDonald's Rewards)

Chapter Song: Daydream by Harry Styles

                                           Evelyn
The good news is because I was almost murdered, I didn't get fired for not going to work.

The bad news is I might be walking away from today with a touch of trauma. Oh well.

It takes a good hour to answer the questions from Detective Nakaya (who is getting free coffee for life) and the other cops. Afterward, Michael and I decided that we should head to his car and figure out where to go front here. Light was beginning to creep up on the horizon, casting the apartment complexes in the faintest shade of gold. Despite my loathing of waking up before it's light outside, I can't deny how beautiful the view is.

I look at Michael, realizing I've never seen a sunrise with him. We've spent countless nights staring off into the sunset, filled with an all-incompassing contentment. Despite how corny as that sounds, those evenings were the highlight of my day. Standing here now, I realize I'd be happy to watch sunrises with him for years. Definitely not every morning, but maybe once a month. For a moment, I see a vision of what could potentially be my future: long drives along the coast, breakfast for dinner, bickering over whether Die Hard is a Christmas movie or not, travel. Yeah...I see it.

Michael met my gaze, brows furrowed. "Are you okay," he asked gently.

"What? Yeah, why?"

"You've been staring at me. Not that I mind," he added quickly.

"You're pretty. And I love you."

Michael looked away for a moment and scarlet dusted his cheeks. For a man of relatively few words, he's extremely expressive.

"I love you too," he said sincerely, looking back at me. "And I also love when you take care of yourself. You haven't slept, do you want to go take a nap at my apartment, I don't mind. And Wasabi might need to be in a tank again."

Right. Wasabi, the light of my life who is floating around in my water bottle. Detective Nakaya said that my apartment was technically a crime scene and I wouldn't be able to go back for at least forty eight hours. I couldn't leave Wasabi, especially after Derek threatened to eat him, so I did what any normal person would do and put him in the nearest water bottle. I feel like Wasabi is indestructible at this point; he may be the world's first immortal fish. However, he will not be indestructible if he doesn't eat. Michael's apartment is definitely a good idea.

"Yes, thank you. I feel like I could sleep for a week." Michael chuckled. "However," I started again, "I want to do a few things first, though. I fed Wasabi before we left, so he'll be fine for about an hour. My car is still at the Arby's, so can you drop me off there so I can pick it up?"

"Oh shit. I forgot about that," Michael stammered, fumbling for his car keys. Cute. "Yeah, I'll take you right now."

~~~

I was excited beyond words that my car was still at the Arby's and not God knows where. I have carefully accumulated a lot of random knick kacnks that I keep in my car. To name a few: my tortilla blanket, the lobster plushie that sits in my passenger seat, the mini disco ball, etc. All of those are treasures to me and gifts to society. I probably would've gone on a murder spree if I lost any of those.

I hop out of Michael's car and do a quick once over of the inside of my car, making sure eveyrthing is still in it. "Oh thank God," I sigh. "Now that this is is all done and settled, I can lead into what I was thinking."

Michael stared at me expectantly, clearly not understanding that I was pasuing for dramatic effect. Rolling my eyes, I continued. "After all the shit we've been through in the past twenty four hours, I belive that we deserve a treat."

"What's your classification of a treat?"

"Free food."

"I like it," Michael nodded. "How are we going to pull that off?"

"We lie and tell them it's our birthday."

"Smart. What if they ask for ID?"

Oh shit. I hadn't thought about that. My drivers lisence has my birthday on it and I don't exactly have a fake ID casually laying around. Unless I get one...

Or, I can avoid anything illegal and look up what restaurants don't check for IDs for birthdays. That would probably be smarter.

"Okay, " I started. "I have a plan."

"Last time you said you had a plan, I ended up having to kill the biggest spider I've ever seen."

"Which I thanked you for profusely. Once again, I am forever in your debt."

"Forever?" Michael repeated.

"Yes. Forever."

~~~

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
If I'm being honest, I'm at a loss for words right now. I cant believe the book is over. It's kind of surreal for me. I started this a year ago to see if anyone would like this quirky story I had to tell and you all did.
From the bottom of my heart, thank you.
Going on the journey of Evelyn's story with all of you has meant so much to me.
Also, the comments throughout the story have me WHEEZING.
I've loved sharing this book with you and I'll see you all for the next one!
I love you guys 🫶🏼🫶🏼🫶🏼