Chapter 25 - Cue the Beat Drop

Chapter Song: ABC by Jackson 5

Evelyn
The saying "just be yourself" is arguably one of the stupidest phrases created.

I know how that sounds, but I would like to believe that, despite my cynicism, I am a very positive person who gets along well with people. I find conversation with the right people to be easy.

But I'm not ready to meet Michael's mom.

We've been dating for six months and I should've known the 'meet the parents' stage was approaching, but I just didn't think about it. If I ruin this first impression, I am ruined. First impressions are as important as not tripping and falling while walking up or down stairs.

I know a few things though:
1. I have social anxiety.
2. I'm afraid of failure and letting people down.
3. I'm good with people.

The first two things don't help me in any way, but the last one does. I've learned just about all of my life lessons from Gilmore Girls. Unfortunately, there wasn't an episode where my TV mom, Lorelai Gilmore, taught Rory about meeting any of her boyfriend's parents.

Sad for me.

A benefit is Mrs. Laurent isn't French, so I won't have to worry about speaking French and butcher literally every word. I can fluently speak Spanish and English, but that's it. Ask me to speak any other language, and I will be a disgrace to the language. I prepared on a few other counts, her favorite flower, she's a cat person, she enjoys listening to music from the 60's, she kept her married name, and, based off of Michael's description, she's an angel.

I got this.

~~~

"If you bounce your foot anymore the floor of the car will fall through, and we'll both die in a fiery crash."

"I'd rather die now than after I've said something stupid," I quipped.

Michael put one hand on my thigh, reassuringly, "she's going to love you, I promise."

"You know what else loves me? Bad luck. Watch me trip over my feet up your front porch steps."

"How do you know I have front porch steps?"

"I didn't. I just imagined what would be embarrassing and rolled from there."

Michael looked away from the road for a second to give me a pointed look.

"Okay, okay, I'll stop."

We drove through a cute little neighborhood, it was picturesque like a hallmark movie while being as enchanting as a fairytale realm. The houses looked like little cottages and it has become my new goal in life to own one of them.

There's an especially pretty one at the end of the block. It looked more or less like all the other houses, but there was lavender planted along the perimeter of the house, adding to its charm.

"I like that one," I stated, pointing at the lavender house. "I would probably commit murder to be able to own it."

"That's Harry and Val's house house. They're kind of jerks, so I wouldn't have a problem with you killing them."

"Wait wait. So you mean to tell me that's...Harry's House?"

Michael deadpanned at me. "I really should've seen that coming."

"You definitely should've."

"I think you'll have to delay your murder plans because we just got here."

After we parked, we walked up to the front door and Michael gave my hand a small squeeze. I know how close he is with his mom and I wouldn't want to do anything that would make her hate me. She sounds nice, a little sassy, but nice. I like that. Maybe we can bully Jake Gyllenhaal together.