Chapter 24 - Dad Jokes and Daddy Issues

Chapter Song: Brutal by Olivia Rodrigo

Evelyn
I love Christmas.

The whole holiday season is the best time of year. The food, the lights, the decorations, the music - it's all absolutely perfect. Objectively, it's the best holiday. In any movie, book, tv show, they never skip Christmas. It's a fun addition to any and everything.

Unlike Thanksgiving. For Thanksgiving, people just watch Charlie Brown or Friends. Besides, there's no music. If I were to ask anyone on the street to name a Thanksgiving song, most people won't be able to.

But with Christmas, there's an array or songs to choose from. They're good to listen to all year long too. I could put on Last Christmas by Wham! literally any day of any year and I'll be happy. Christmas just makes people happy. The decorations are beautiful and the food is always delicious. I would die for Christmas to be celebrated for the longer. It's the happiest I am every year.

Besides, I'm in need of joy for finals this week. They've made me want to die. A few months ago I joked about dropping out of school because I'm broke, but maybe I'll drop out of school because I hate it and I might be stupid.

But it's fine. I just haven't slept in two ways.

All I have to do is make it to Friday at 4 o'clock. All of my finals will be done and I'll get to sleep. But first I'll get food. Food? No, maybe a milkshake. Shake up my normal order but oh, I should I order fries if I get a shake but I don't want fries I want mozzarella sticks but those don't go with milkshakes and I feel like someone's saying my name but I need to think about the milkshakes and mozzarella sticks because screw conventionalism, I'll order a milkshake and mozzarella sticks and-

"Evelyn," Michael interrupted my thoughts, his voice cutting through my internal spiral and his hand on my arm.

"I'm awake!" I shot up, suddenly realizing my head had started to fall.

"I don't think you were, sweetheart."

"No, no," I dismissed him. I was awake. Well, mostly awake. "You're wrong. I'm wide awake."

"Ev-"

"No Ev, I'm wide awake."

Michael sighed, "Do you remember when you told me I was gaslighting you that day at the beach?"

I nodded, too tired to connect the dots, but smiling at the fond memory.

"It seems we've come full circle in this relationship because now you're the one who's doing the gaslighting."

"If you're comparing me to Jake Gyllenhaal, this relationship is over."

"Does that make me Taylor Swift? If so, I'm flattered."

"Ha!" I smacked his arm. "I knew you were listening to me this whole time."

"I always listen to you," Michael said fondly.

I lean forward to kiss him and he sighs, leaning into my touch. "Thank you," I whisper.

He nods and kisses me again, mumbling, "you're welcome."

I hummed, "You should wear green more often, it looks good on you."

"You should sleep, you're wearing yourself out."

"I'll be fine," I say, opening my notes again. "I just need to study a little bit more so I can get this concept down before my final."

"Ev, you've said that the past two nights. You've studied so much, you're doing amazing. Give yourself a break."