Chapter 20 - Contradictory Bread

Chapter Song: Grace by Lewis Capaldi

                                         Michael
What the fuck.

I couldn't move. I couldn't do anything but stand there like an idiot holding a fucking baguette.

Evelyn smiled at me awkwardly and ducked her way out of Derek's grasp, clearly uncomfortable. Although she had moved, Derek let his hand linger on her shoulder for a few moments longer than necessary, staring at me with a conniving, devil's smile.

"What are you doing here?" It was less of a question and more of a demand.

"I was just here to bring Evelyn a birthday gift. And to say hi to you, of course."

Uh huh.

I was surprised I didn't see the sparkly bag in her hand, it stood out like a sore thumb.

"Derek," I started, "kindly get the fuck out of here."

"But I just got here, it'd be rude to kick me out so soon."

Ev walked over to me, intertwining my hand with hers. She must've noticed something was wrong because she whispered, "Is everything okay?"

"No," I whispered back. "But I'll tell you about it when he leaves."

Evelyn smiled at me and, fuck, if it didn't make want to smile too. Forgetting Derek and all of his bullshit, I gave her hand a little squeeze and smiled. I honestly couldn't help it.

"Interesting," Derek murmured.

"Thanks for the gift, Derek. We actually have plans to go see a movie in," Evelyn checked her phone, "Half an hour. So we should get going."

Derek nodded, "I understand. I wouldn't want to take up any more of your time. It was nice seeing you again, Ev."

He did not just call her Ev-

Wait.

Again? He's talked to her before?

My jaw tightened as he walked past me and put a hand on my shoulder, "It was great seeing you again too, Michael."

Once he turned the corner, Ev looked at me, "I feel like I might've missed a few chapters."

I chuckled, "Yeah, maybe just a few."

"Care to share with the rest of the class?" She joked. "In all seriousness, you don't have to tell me right now. I'll wait until you're ready."

"I don't deserve you," I whispered as I kissed her, taking a moment to bask in her splendor.

"Come on, let's go inside, yeah?"

"Yeah."

~~~

I've been sitting on my couch watching tv with Evelyn for ten minutes already and I'm at a loss for words.

What do I even say?

I can't just begin with, 'so, that guy you saw was my brother. By the way, we hate each other and I'm pretty sure he's a drug dealer or some shady shit.'

I'm kind of on a time crunch too because the fucking bread needs to be baked in the oven for eighteen minutes before we can eat it. Which, by the way, is moronic. It's also false advertising.

Why not just make the bread already baked so people can eat it right away and avoid awkward conversations about their shady worm of a brother?

I sighed, catching Ev's attention. She put her hand on my thigh in silent acknowledgment of...me. How does she do that? It's like she just knows. Maybe she has superpowers or something, because her being able to tell my mood based on a sigh alone is uncanny.