3

Green eyes, bold and vivacious, run up and down George's figure, a chuckle leaving the man's throat. "My oh my, what have I got here?"

George says nothing, chin up in defiance as he glares at the stranger. Neither of them lower their guns, daring the other to make a move. The man cracks a grin, jaw jerking up in a greeting. George doesn't move, his hands steady on his gun.

"Why don't you be a doll and put your gun down," the stranger says, but the gleam of arrogance in his eyes doesn't fool George.

"Like hell I will," George replies, voice bordering on a growl, defensive.

"He speaks," the stranger muses, his thumb pulling back the hammer of his gun, the click making George's lip curl in warning. "Put your gun down."

"And let you kill me? No way." George juts his chin in the direction past the man. "Let me leave and I won't shoot."

This earns George a scoff, a cocky grin close to getting under George's skin. "Why would I do that? You're the best thing I've found in a while."

The man purposefully shines his flashlight in George's eyes, causing George to let out a hiss of annoyance and look away. The distraction allowed the man to step forward, yanking the gun out of George's hand. He holsters it, his grin fueling George's anger.

George raises his hands slowly, saying sharply, "Shoot me, I dare you."

"My name's Dream," the man croons instead, grin growing, "and why would I shoot such a pretty face?"

George doesn't let the words faze him, saying coldly, "Let me leave and I won't come back again."

"But, darling," Dream's sugary sweet words bring a frown to George's lips, "then I'd never see you again."

"That's the point."

"What fun is that?"

A plan sparks in George's mind, and a grin graces George's lips. "You want fun?" George asks, stepping forward slowly. The gun brushes against George's chest. "I can give you fun."

Excitement flashes in Dream's eyes, and George prevents himself from grinning wider as Dream's arm weakens, his attention leaving his gun. Dream murmurs, "Oh yeah?"

"Yeah," George promises, a wicked grin creeping over his cheeks as his hands snatch the gun in Dream's hand.

Dream is faster than he looks, though, and his grip isn't as loose as George thought. The gun is tugged between them, and both of them end up losing it as it scatters down the aisle of the gas station.

He reaches for the gun at Dream's waist, but Dream knocks that one away as well. George curses, stumbling forward. He shoves Dream into the nearest shelf, running toward the gun as Dream crashes into the boxes behind him. The flashlight falls to the floor.

Dream chases after him, jumping on George and knocking him to the ground. "Get off me, you animal," George seethes, struggling under Dream's weight.

Dream leans down, sneering, "Nice try."

George glares at him, not giving Dream a moment more to gloat. He punches Dream, a zing of pain shooting up his hand. Dream clutches his nose, hissing in pain. George manages to shove Dream off him, eyes wildly searching for one of the two guns.

The flashlight's beam is the only light other than the muted glow of the moon through the shop windows. George can't see, the guns lost in the darkness. The gun in his backpack would take too much time to get out, so he runs to hide in another aisle, pulling his knife out of his boot. He waits in a corner, knife at the ready as he hears Dream laugh lowly. His heart races with adrenaline.