19

They spend the next few days in a refugee center somewhere in eastern Canada. George and Dream are practically glued to each other's side throughout the whole process.

Eventually, they get out of the refugee center and are given apartments to reside in until they get on their feet. The whole group decides to live in apartments on the same floor, so they can find each other easily.

Right now, everyone sits in the living room of Sapnap and Karl's apartment. George leans against the wall, listening quietly as the group talks. Dream stands next to him, equally observant.

Sapnap says, "Seeing as we've made it to the New World, I don't see any reason as to why we shouldn't make lives for ourselves here."

"I agree," Punz says, adding, "we can start over. Get jobs, be happy."

"But what does that mean for us?" Foolish asks, gesturing to the group. "We're not going to just leave each other, right?"

"Of course not," Sapnap replies. "We'll always be friends, just not holed up in some bunker underground."

Foolish's lips thin as he sighs. Bad says, "Skeppy and I can take Tommy and Tubbo."

Punz's eyebrows lift. "I thought those little rascals annoyed you."

Bad scoffs lightheartedly. Skeppy smiles and says, "Sometimes, but that doesn't mean we don't want them."

George glances at the two young boys, fast asleep on the couch. Their ruddy cheeks are scrunched against the pillows. George has to admit they did grow on him in the short time that he's known them.

The group continues to talk as George turns to Dream. Dream faces him, lifting a curious eyebrow. "What's up?"

"I was thinking that before we start new lives and whatever we could find Tina," George replies quietly.

Dream blinks slowly and his expression falls. "So soon?"

"Well, yeah," George mutters, "I haven't seen her in years."

"Okay," Dream replies, strained. He glances around the room, almost looking for help. George notices that Sapnap returns Dream's look, frowning, as if disappointed. Dream swallows and looks back at George. "Can we talk somewhere else?"

Confused, George nods. He follows Dream into Sapnap and Karl's room. Dream closes the door, shoulders tight as he slowly turns to George. George can't help the apprehensiveness that builds in his gut.

"What's wrong, Dream?" George asks.

Dream's eyes stay on the floor as he mutters something undistinguishable. "What?" George prompts, unable to hear him.

Dream quickly looks up before his eyes dart away skittishly. George's gut twists. "I— I, uh, I don't know where Tina is," Dream mumbles.

Oh.

Oh.

George's mouth opens, then closes. He swallows. His chest tightens with a familiar feeling, one he thought he got rid of.... Betrayal.

He doesn't know what to think or say, eyes wide as he searches Dream's face frantically for an answer. Dream's face is hesitant, scared even, as he waits for George's response. George can feel a burn at the back of his eyes as he shakes his head slowly in disbelief.

"George," Dream whispers, "Say something, anything... please."

"You lied to me."

The ugly words fall limp from George's mouth. He struggles to process two things: (one) Dream lied to him, and (two) he lied to him about Tina, someone who means so much to George, and Dream knew that and still lied to him.