17

George doesn't know how he manages it, but he finds a way outside.

The sun slowly sets, casting rays over the horizon. Under the setting sun, he sneaks past military grade vehicles and makes his way to a field. The land that was once a pasture is now home to high-tech planes and helicopters.

He walks all the way to the end of the field to lay in the soft grass. Lying on his back, he tilts his chin up to bask in the setting sun's rays. The feeling is relaxing and he has to admit that he feels safe.

Under the observance of only the sky and birds, George rests, letting himself feel free. He doesn't know how much time passes, but the sky darkens, and soon it's splattered with stars.

George doesn't know where in the United States he is, but he's somewhere near the Midwest. The night is a little chilly, but George doesn't mind. It's refreshing, if anything.

He tries to count the stars, a pointless task, and fails, as per his expectations. The constellations are different now; he can't find Leo, his favorite, or any of the other ones Tina taught him.

George can't say he's surprised, though, when familiar steps approach. He's been waiting for Dream to show up.

"I lost you," Dream muses.

George's lips quirk up as he stares up at Dream, who had been following him for an hour before George decided to slip away. "I know."

Dream shakes his head, a fond smile dancing across his lips. He lifts a blanket, eyebrows lifted in a question. George stands, remembering how much taller Dream is when he does so. He almost scoffs. Dream lays the blanket down, and lets George sit down first.

When Dream sits next to him, he makes sure to leave space between them. George leans over to pluck a dandelion from the grass near the edge of the blanket. He twirls the yellow weed's stem between his fingers, unsure of what to say or do next.

"If you could wish for anything, what would you wish for?" Dream asks quietly.

George doesn't even have to think. "For Tina to be safe."

"And if she isn't?" Dream's words make George tense, the weed stilling between his fingers. "Sorry," Dream mutters, "I actually have good news."

George swallows, looking up at Dream. Dream offers a weak smile, clearing his throat before he says, "I may have found evidence for her location."

George blinks, surprised. "Really?"

Dream nods, the same weak smile not leaving his face. "Yeah, the tech here is super good. Bad helped me. We think she's in the New World."

George lets out a sigh of relief, eyes falling shut as he replies genuinely, "Thank you."

"You're welcome," Dream replies, voice strained. George's eyes open to find Dream grimacing. Dream looks away. "You know, if you had told me about Tina, I would never have... I― I would've behaved differently. I'm sorry."

George can't help the way his heart softens. He says softly, "Tina was my best friend before we got split up. You'd like her."

Dream's eyes lift, wide. George holds back his grin at the spark of hope in Dream's eyes. "Best... friends...?" Dream questions slowly.

George lets out a soft laugh. "Yeah, she helped me through some rough times."

He watches curiously as Dream struggles to deal with this new information. He can tell Dream doesn't know what to say or do, too stunned. So George offers conversation. "She taught me a couple constellations. I don't know if you know any. My favorite is Leo, but that one isn't visible this time of year."