XVIII

It was really a brief journey.

The carriage traveled downtown to passed through a portal then came into a stop.

The halt done by the carriage brought her back to reality. 

The Duke Regal offered his hand to guide his daughter towards the entrance of the royal palace.

As they walk, the Duke strike a conversation with her.

"If they bother you, just tell me. I'll do something about it or if you want we can leave anytime." Eventhough the Duke has still his pokerface on, Deigh could feel the warmth of his words.

'Something has changed...' She thought.

"Yes, father. I'll do so."

Entering the palace, their arrival was announced.

Some of the nobles who were busy strengthening their connections, stopped for a moment noticing their arrival.

It can be said that most of their attention was on the Duke, many ladies of different ages can't help but sigh when they saw the appearance of the Duke, for even if he had age, if felt like he didn't change in appearance at all.

'That was due to his power, don't be fooled.' Deigh thought but is also looking at her father.

Regal on the other hand became conscious of the looks the nobles including some males throw to her daughter, it put him into a bad mood giving off an intense aura to which the people flinched and remove their stares.

He then caught sight of his daughter staring at him so hard.

The Duke looked at her confused.

"Do you want to ask something?"

"Ah...there's nothing father." She answered embarassed of being caught.

"Is that so? Then let's go."

"To where? Home?... but we just arrived isn't that just a waste of effort?" Deigh who slightly tilted her head asked in bewilderment.

A laugh slipped off the Duke's lips though he immediately collected himself, it didn't go unnoticed by everyone who's looking at them even Deigh herself.

'Weren't they in a bad relationship? What's this?' Some nobles pondered on.

'Something did really changed...but wasn't it too late?... his real daughter is already gone...'

The bright atmosphere brought by the liveliness of the room seems to get sullen due to her remembering of Luxiana.

She sighed trying to clear her thoughts.

'Focus...'

"As much as I don't want to, we don't have a choice but to greet the royals."

'Ah... is that so?'

The Duke along with Deigh walk down the path to the royals' throne.

As they stand in front the rulers of the empire, she started to feel her nerves.

"It's nice to see you again, your majesties... although it's not really my pleasure to see the Emperor again.. "

His voice drifted at the end of his words. Deigh looked at the Duke in surprise.

Her father, the Duke, also didn't bow much to her expectations and instead is looking at the Emperor straight in the eyes.

The empress gave out a gentle smile and  conversed for a while.