The Power of Christ Compels You!

(Y/N POV)

(B/F/N) was singing "Lovefool" whilst carrying out the tedious task of rewinding the VHS tape. I hummed along to the song from my station in the kitchen, where I was making popcorn. I couldn't even count the amount of movie sleepovers that we had done over the years, but I never forgot one fact: we never, ever went without popcorn. 

"Ha! Finally!" (B/F/N)'s triumphant cry rang through the house. "The movie's ready whenever you are, (Y/N)!" 

"Just a few more minutes!" I hollered, referring to our popcorn. 

Once we had our snacks, my friend grabbed a couple of extra blankets for us to wrap up in, and we began watching the film. 

"The power of Christ compels you!" 

Father Merrin shouted the famous line right as the phone rang. (B/F/N) and I shared a glance. 

"Rock, paper, scissors, shoot!" we said in unison. (B/F/N) used rock, I used paper.

"Ha! Victory!" I said, burrowing deeper into my blanket burrito as she begrudgingly got up and went to answer the phone. 

"Hello?" I heard her say. I could hear a person speaking on the other line, but I couldn't quite make out what they were saying. 

"Ooh, your voice is hot," she commented. I rolled my eyes at her shameless flirting.

They went on like this for a few minutes, so I turned my attention back to the movie. 

"How'd you know we were watching The Exorcist?" 

That was enough to turn my attention towards her again. I sat up and twisted around to face her, a questioning look on my face. She stared back at me in fright as the person on the line said something else to her. I still couldn't hear the exact words, but the tone was undoubtedly sinister. 

"I-I can't! Talk to my friend! Here!" she raced over and shoved the phone into my hands, despite my protests. 

"Um, hello?" I said tentatively. 

"Hello, (Y/N)," the mystery caller sneered. 

"Who is this and why are you trying to scare my friend?" I demanded. "Is this your idea of some sick prank?"

"It's more like a game," the person told me. Their voice sounded masculine to me, so I filed away the observation for later. 

I scoffed. "Okay, what kind of game?"

"Trivia. I'll ask you three questions about The Exorcist. If you get them all right, I'll leave you alone. If you get one wrong," he laughed breathily, "I'll go in there and slit your pretty little throat."

"Yeah, no," I said firmly, hanging up on him before he could say anything else. (B/F/N) was pacing around the living room, biting her nails. I dialed 911.

As I finished rattling off the address, he broke the living room window. (B/F/N) screamed, and he went right after her. Panicking, I raced up the stairs and locked myself in her bedroom. All the while, I listened to my best friend's desperate cries for help turn into pleas for mercy. 

Hiccuping with tears, I backed myself into the corner of the bedroom. Barely two seconds after (B/F/N)'s screaming had finally subsided, someone threw themselves into the door. I yelped in shock, unable to move as I watched the door shake again and again and again until it finally flew open. 

I was staring Death in the face. 

He was tall and enshrouded in a black cloak. A ghastly white mask frozen in a scream stared at me as I dropped to the floor, sobbing pathetically. His movements were slow and purposeful as he strode towards me. He grabbed me roughly by the shirt, raising his knife to kill...

and that's when my fight-or-flight finally kicked in. 

I kneed him in the groin.

(3rd Person POV: Ghostface)

The sound of shattering glass was Billy's cue. As Stu went after (B/F/N), he set his sights on (Y/N), who was already halfway up the stairs. Smart bunny.

He immediately followed her up, positioning himself outside of the room she ran into. He waited a beat after the other girl's crying had finally subsided before ramming himself into the door. He heard a little yelp, and bit back his laughter. The look on her face was going to be perfect.

He kept on throwing himself into the door until it finally slammed open. (Y/N) had backed herself into a corner, crying piteously. She apparently didn't notice the window right next to her. This was going to be fun

He grabbed her by the shirt, smiling as she looked up at him in fear. Slowly, he raised the knife, ready to hear her scream...

and then a sharp pain stopped him. 

He dropped his blade as his hands flew to his crotch, his eyes crossed in pain. He let out a low groan as he fell to the floor. (Y/N) just stayed there, watching him dumbly. 

That was a solid hit, he thought. Damn.

Regaining control of his body, he stared down at the sniveling girl. Why hadn't she run off yet? Was she that scared? Was she petrified with trepidation?

Her eyes were puffy and swollen; her breathing was quick and shallow. Her pupils were blown wide, and tears streaked her face. She looked so pathetic, and part of him just wanted to run her through with his blade and get it over with. 

But that little look on her face was too much fun.

He picked up his knife again as the girl's eyes widened in fright. Using the handle, he dealt a quick, hard hit to her head. She was out cold instantly.

Heading back downstairs, he found Stu on the couch, watching The Exorcist while eating the rest of their popcorn. 

"You got her?" 

Billy shook his head. "Nah, I changed my mind for the time being. She's currently passed out on the floor of (B/F/N)'s room."

Stu raised a questioning brow at him but said nothing. 

"I think she called the cops, though. We need to get going."

Stu sighed and got up from his cozy seat. "I'm taking this with me," he said, holding up the popcorn bowl.

"Just so long as you share," replied Billy as he grabbed a handful of the snack. 

"I- Okay, fine," was all Stu said as the two boys fled the scene. 

+++

Author's Note: Off-topic, but my brother told me that I looked like a character in a 90s coming-of-age film, and now I'm really happy :D. 

-Bunn.