14

♡︎

If there was one thing most lawyers dreaded, it was a high-profile case. The legal process was already enough of a nightmare, but having more people at the already busy courthouse was a migraine. Once they were dismissed for their break, Hyunjin checked his phone for his usual reports.

[23 missed call]
[301 urgent emails]
[371 unread text messages]

That was usual for him, but as he scrolled through the emails, his eyes immediately caught the bold subject line and the flagged email.

Manhattan College 8008825 Suspension Letter: Urgent Action.

Hyunjin immediately clicked on the email, wondering if there was an error, but the moment he read the email, he concluded it was reality.

Attn: Mr. Hwang Hyunjin
Dear Jeongin,
Based on your current academic record, we have determined that you are not meeting the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements for our institution. You have been placed in "Suspension", meaning that your enrollment eligibility has been suspended for future semesters.

Hyunjin hadn't finished reading the email when a call flashed on his phone, and when he saw the school's phone number, he didn't hesitate to answer. The young lawyer was appalled by the monotone reciting the email, followed by "- and we expect all tuition fees to be paid within the three day grace period. The student won't be able to attempt enrollment for a year."

"Can you explain what requirements weren't met?"

"It seems your younger brother didn't show up for a minimum of ten percent of all his classes. His grades are all in the zeros. He withdrew from two classes and no longer meets the college's requirements."

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience, I'll make sure all the fees are paid by the end of the day."

You could see the stress on the lawyer's face - many would assume it was from his case, but in reality, his mind was wondering how his life seemed to be at a constant downfall.

Changbin sighed in relief when he found the taller, but then he noticed the exhausted look on his face. "Hyunjin, the ju-"

"Take the case."

"What?"

Never had the young lawyer given up a case, not even when he had funerals to attend or hospital rooms to be at. As much as his coworkers often tried to assure him that they could easily take over a case, Hyunjin would deny, even when Changbin offered.

"Can you take the case? You know we won this already; the evidence they presented was laughable. All that's left is their cross-examination."

Changbin nodded. worried. "Did something happen?" The older asked, wanting to know the reason for the abrupt request.

"Jeongin.. he's not.." Hyunjin shook his head, not being able to even explain. But the moment he mentioned his younger brother, Changbin instantly understood.

"I'll take care of this, corporate is my expertise. Get going, I'll keep you updated. Let me and Lix know what we can do to help."

To say he appreciated Changbin's words and composure was an understatement. Hyunjin wouldn't know where he would be if it weren't for the couple, who had become family.