11

♡︎

One thing all the lawyers from the city firms envied about Changbin, was his perfect life. He balanced everything better than anyone could in his situation. Changbin was probably the only lawyer in the city who married his high school sweetheart and hadn't gone through a divorce.

It was perfect. They were perfect. By 8:03 in the evening, the baby was bathed and soundly asleep, the kitchen was spotless, and a classic romance movie was playing in the master bedroom.

Although there were the occasions when Changbin was in his office late to prepare for his important cases. Tonight was one of them, Felix looked at the clock on his phone -  it read a quarter past midnight - and his husband was still working, he decided to intervene.

Sure enough, Changbin was so immersed in the mountains of papers that he didn't notice his husband leaning against the doorframe until he cleared his throat. When Changbin looked up, his eyes softened, and he couldn't help but admire his beautiful husband in his sapphire silk robe. "Binnie, what did we say about working late?"

"I know, love, I just have a big case first thing tomorrow. We all have cases tomorrow morning." Changbin spoke, already putting everything away.

"I know Binnie, I just don't want us to end up like, you know.. them," Felix said, his voice lowering at the end. Truth be told, after Hyunjin and Seungmin divorced, all Felix could worry about was about going through the same situation. It was a horrible thing to go through and he couldn't bare to imagine ever putting their baby through that.

"Don't stress about that, love. Let's get you to bed."

Everything was perfectly perfect. When Changbin closed his eyes, - after he made sure his dear husband was comfortable in his embrace - he fell asleep without a worry in the world, ready to take on the next day.

Changbin did not expect to wake up a few hours later to the sound of his baby's cries and Felix shaking him awake with tears in his eyes. "Binnie, I-I think something's wrong really wrong. Jay won't stop crying a-and he has a fever," Felix said shakily as he held his baby in his arms.

"We have to get to the hospital. Come on, love, everything will be okay, just calm down." Changbin was nervous about the situation, knowing their son didn't have the best health. Throwing on whatever clothes they could find, and a pair of shoes, the parents rushed their baby to the hospital.

On their way to the hospital, the baby's cries of discomfort filled the car, only worrying the parents even more. When they arrived at the emergency room, Changbin didn't care about his car as he rushed his family inside, immediately telling the nurse about his son's state.

It wasn't until Changbin handed them the baby's medical card, that the nurse's eyes widened and ushered them immediately through the doors.

Immediately, the staff took the baby from Felix's shaky arms and the area was flooded with nurses and doctors shouting codes. But all Felix could hear was his baby's cries. "We need to get him to room two now!"

When Felix heard that, his stomach dropped instantly, feeling like something horrible was about to happen and he could only cling to Changbin's arm, who tried to comfort him as he answered the nearby nurse's questions.

It was only when they started taking their baby to another room, past another set of doors, that the parents were stopped. "I'm so sorry but this area is strictly off-limits. Please wait in the waiting area down the hall and we will get back to you as soon as we can."

The doors closed and that's when Felix felt all his strength give up. "Lix, please listen to me, baby. We need to be strong for him, okay?" Changbin said softly, his heart breaking at the sight of his husband being so afraid. Changbin tried his best to calm him down, but his nerves didn't help. Changbin looked up and made eye contact with a nurse, pleading with his eyes for help.