Chapter Four: Where have you been all my life?

As I wound my way through the dark streets of Chicago and back towards the apartment I shared with Elise, my mind was racing, aside the fact that I was so tired the authorities would have most likely classified me as a driving zombie if I were to get pulled over.  My mind flashed back to the intimate moments I had shared with Louis just earlier that night.  I smiled to myself as my shoulders slumped back into my seat.  Sighing, I clicked the radio on, where a song started to play, an unfamiliar song at that. 

"Counted all my mistakes and there's only one
Standing out from the list of the things I've done
All the rest of my crimes don't come close
To the look on your face when I let you go

So I built you a house from a broken home
And I wrote you a song with the words you spoke

Yeah, it took me some time but I figured out
How to fix up a heart that I let down

Now I'm searching every lonely place
Every corner calling out your name
Tryna find you but I just don't know
Where do broken hearts go?

Yeah, the a taste of your lips on the tip of my tongue
Is at the top of the list of the things I want
Mind is running in circles of you and me
Anyone in between is the enemy

Shadows come with the pain that you're running from
Love was something you've never heard enough

Yeah, it took me some time but I figured out
How to fix up a heart that I let down

Now I'm searching every lonely place
Every corner calling out your name
Tryna find you but I just don't know
Where do broken hearts go?

Are you sleeping, baby by yourself?
Or are you giving it to someone else?
Try to find you but I just don't know
Where do broken hearts go?

Tell me now, tell me now,
Tell me where you go when you feel afraid?
Tell me now, tell me now,
Tell me will you ever love me again, love me again?

Now I'm searching every lonely place
Every corner calling out your name
Tryna find you but I just don't know
Where do broken hearts go?

Are you sleeping, baby, by yourself?
Or are you giving it to someone else?
Try to find you but I just don't know
Where do broken hearts go?"

I gasped as I cranked the volume up louder, recognizing his voice immediately as I humed along.

 "Tell me where you're hiding out
Where do broken hearts go?
Come on, baby, 'cause I need you now
Where do broken hearts go?
Tell me, 'cause I’m ten feet down
Where do broken hearts go?

Come on, baby, come and get me out
Come on, baby, 'cause I need you now

Where do broken hearts go?
Where do broken hearts go?"

I smiled as the song faded out and an old Mariah Carey hit began to play through the speakers.  Louis really did have a badass voice, and I wouldn't mind hearing it again soon.  As I was left with my own thoughts, I soon realized that my eyes had ventured off the road for a split-second.  My head jerked back up to the dashboard as I slammed my foot down on the break.  A pair of eyes peered out at me from the darkness as a black cat ran out from in front of my headlights and into the bushes on the opposide side of the street. 

I pulled my keys to the apartment out from my jacket pocket as I shivered in the cool night air.  I walked into the house, the heels to my boots clicking against the wood floor of the entryway.  All off the lights were off, so I assumed Elise was already alseep as I tip-toed as quiet as possible from the front door and into the kitchen.  As I grabbed a yogurt cup and water bottle from the door of the refridgerator, I promply screamed as I nearly shit my pants.  Elise was sitting on the granite countertop behind me and I hadn't even been aware of her prescence until I turned around, scared.  I put a hand on my heart as I bent over, catching my breath as she laughed at my startled reaction.  I smacked her in the arm, wordless, as she made her way over to the couch, me following close behind.  We both sat indian-style facing eachother as she grabbed a carton of ice cream off of the coffee table, which I had not noticed before now.  She took a large spoonful into her mouth as I yawned, wishing she would let me off the hook so I could go to sleep already. 

Minutes later, she finally said, "So, who is he? Spill."  I rolled my eyes as I tried to brush her off, but that did not seem to be working at the moment.  "You bitch ass liar I know a makeout session when I see the evidence.  Now tell me before I call Beth and ask her to tell instead."  I laughed at Elise's saucy attitude, and assumed that she was probably just as tired as me.  "Well, Beth wasn't even there.  It was after hours when she had already gone home, and besides-"  I was cut off by an excited squeal before continuing.  "We're just friends.  I hardly know anything about him 'Lisie."  She frowned at my pet-name I had given her ages ago.  Without asking anymore questions, I headed off to my room, leaving Elise alone with her carton of "Strawberry Delight" icecream. 

After stepping into the shower, I let the steaming water pound against my back as I thought of Louis.  The way he held my neck.  Smiled into our kiss.  The way his chest felt against mine.  The way he dominated over me made me feel more alive than I had felt in a long time.  I stepped out onto a bathmat and wrapped a blue towel around my body.  After wringing the water out of my thick violet hair, I combed through it with my fingers and got ready for bed.  I slipped on a white crop top with the Black Lotus logo on it and my grey sweatpants.  I climbed under the comforter of my queen bed that was centered against the wall of my room.  I plugged my phone into the outlet next to my nightstand as I clicked the lights off and snuggled up to my body pillow, already deciding that I was going to sleep in tomorrow since it was Saturday and Elise would be out with her fiance Cal all day looking at venues for their ceremony and reception in eight months.  I was happy as hell for them, but I couldn't help but fail at surpressing my jealousy.  I wanted what they had, and shortly after, I began to realize that Louis might just be that special person I was looking to include in my life someday.

My mind was too preoccupied with thoughts of boys and tattoos and kissing and love and hours later, with no luck getting to sleep, I decided to stop tossing and turning and I tried to focus on sleeping instead.  It was after 3:45, and still failing at getting to bed, I heard my phone vibrate next to me.  I sat up, fixing my ponytail, and grabbed for my cell phone. 

I shielded my eyes from the bright screen in front of me, and realized that I had recieved a new text from a number I didn't have saved in my contacts.  I gasped with joy as the text read, "Couldn't sleep, love.. I have someone stuck on my mind.. Just wanted to tell you how beautiful you are, and I miss you already. xx Lou"  I wanted to melt.  No guy has ever said that to me before.  I mean, yeah, I had gotten a "hey good morning" text before but nothing at 4 am telling me how beautiful I was by a guy I really liked.  I replied, "Where have you been all my life?  ^-^ you are such a doll."  I saved the contact as "Lou <3" and shut my phone off, setting it back on my nightstand.  I closed my eyes, and for the first time tonight, I was able to fall asleep immediately.