Chapter 1: The Town

Y/N POV
It wasn't very often that Abuelo sent me and David, my little brother, to town. But David hasn't been feeling so great lately. He's had a headache for the past few days.

He probably fell out of a tree again, I don't know.

Abuelo tried everything he could to cure it, but with no luck, he told us to go to town.

He told us by the time we would arrive, we would spot a long line and multitudes of people waiting for something; or maybe someone.

As David and I headed into town, we took notice of the colorful buildings and various vibrant plants. "Woah, this town is so cool" David said as he rubbed his head.

"I know right! I wouldn't mind living here at all" I replied.

"How much longer do we have to go" David cried.

"Well we need to find the- oh look!" I exclaimed as we both beheld a large line of people.

I walked to the end of the line, pulling David along and I tapped the man in front of me.

"Uh hello sir, I was wondering if you would tell me what this line is for?"

"Oh! You must be new here, I've certainly haven't seen you around" he said.

"Yeah we don't usually come here often, but our Abuelo sent us here." I said

Come to think of it, the last time I've came here was probably when I was 5. The only memory I recall was making a new friend at the town square

"My little brother here isn't feeling great. We couldn't help him with it and Abuelo told us we could get help here"

"Well you've come to the right place" he said patting David's head softly.

"You see that lady up at the front with the trey of buñuelos?"

"Yes?" I said with a confused look on my face.

"That lady there, her name is Julieta Madrigal. This is going to sound insane but-"

He was cut off by the singing of a young girl, followed by some kids.

We all glanced towards her. "...that's my mom Julieta, here's her deal" the girl exclaimed.

"The truth is, she can heal you with a meal, woah. Her recipes are remedies for real. If you're impressed, imagine how I feel, Mom!" she sang as her mother gave her a kiss on the cheek before she danced away.

"No way" me and David muttered.

"Healing people with a meal?" I said with a hint of sarcasm

"I know mom's can cook the best food and those foods can be healing, in a way, but healing anything and everything? No way!" I continued

"Yes way!" the man said. "It's whole reason why we're all here, take a look".

Me and David looked towards a man with a broken wrist. Julieta fed him a buñuelos and in an instant, his wrist was healed.

Me and David stood speechless

"An amazing gift isn't it?" the man said.

"So is everyone here magical?" David asked.

"Oh no no no" the man replied "only the Madrigal's are all gifted."

"Well, except for the girl who was just singing. Her name's Mirabel and she's the only Madrigal to not have a gift." he said

"I call it the not-special-special!" he exclaimed, being the only one laughing.

"Next!" Julieta exclaimed.

"Well it was nice chatting, but I'm up next, hope you feel better young one" he said as he began to walk away.

"Wait but tell us more about these Madrigals" I asked.

"Eh, ask Julieta, you're up next." he said

Or maybe you can go catch up to Mirabel, I'm sure she's still singing about the 'amazing' Madrigals"

He began to walk towards Julieta before he turned back around and said "oh, there's a gift ceremony later today for Antonio Madrigal. Perhaps you could come and learn more!"

"It's not very often we get these. Maybe it'll go better than our last one. Hehe"

Gift ceremony? I thought.

It was finally David's turn to be healed.

We walked up to Julieta.

"Hi you guys, who's the sick one?" she asked, examining both of us

"Oh, it's my little brother here, David" I replied, nudging him to move forward

"His head's been hurting for a few days now"

David simply nodded

Julieta gave David a buñuelos and gently rubbed his head

David's face instantly lit up

"This is so good and my head doesn't hurt anymore" he said.

"Well I'm glad!" Julieta said

"But why didn't you two come here when David's head first started hurting" she said with a worried look

"Well, we don't come here often. But our Abuelo sent us here because he couldn't heal it" I said

"Hmm" Julieta said, pondering about something

"Well I'm glad you both came, but you two make sure to come here as soon as you feel sick or break something ok?"

"Will do!" I replied

We began to walk away when I remembered what the man from earlier was telling us about a gift ceremony.

I turned around

"I'm sorry to bother again, but I've heard there's a gift ceremony later today?" I asked

"Oh yes!" Julieta said

"It will be Antonio's ceremony today where he'll receive his gift."

"You two should come, I think you'll have fun and you can get to know the town better"

"See that up there?" she said pointing to a larger house on the top of the hill in the distance

"That's la casa Madrigal!" she exclaimed

"When the sun begins to set, come on over. It will be a wonderful thing to see"

"Alright, thank you!" I exclaimed as me and David began to walk back home

Julieta gave us a wave and began to to heal the others waiting in line.

How am I even going to convince Abuelo to let us go to that ceremony.