Chapter 1

I breathe in a fresh breath of air as I get ready to open shop for today. I'm glad mamá handed her exotic plant shop to me, it's been my dream since I was a little girl to run a shop like this here in Encanto. I know at least one of the madrigals can create flowers, but she never grew anything unique, don't get me wrong there wasn't anything wrong with what she made, all her flowers were flawless. But that's the thing, it's only the same perfect pink and purple flowers she grew. Seeing something new in the village, something that wasn't so generically pretty would be nice.

So that's the point of my shop!

  We get quite a bit of customers despite the town being covered in flowers already, which of course is good for us.

  After preparing my shop to be opened for today, I go outside and flip the wooden open sign on the front door. I look at the outside of the shop and admire the grown plants hanging outside for showcase. They were growing quite nicely, I'm sure they'll attract more customers. While lost in my thought admiring my work, I felt a tap on my shoulder causing me to jump a little. I turn my head to be face to face with my good friend Dolores.

  "Jesus, don't scare me like that chica..." I say while rubbing the back of my neck.
"Sorry (Y/n), didn't mean to startle you" she said while laughing a little.

  Dolores and I have been friends for a while now, we met when I was 10. I always thought she was the coolest because she can hear a pin drop from a mile away, I mean I still think she's really cool, but I couldn't help but feel a little bad for her because I soon came to the realization back then that everything she hears is amplified 10-fold.
   She usually talked in a whispery kind of tone and would love to tell me all about the drama of the village. I, of course didn't mind her dropping by while on her chore run, it was nice to have company.

  "Want to come inside?" I ask while walking through the open front door.
"Ah well actually I kinda have to be somewhere right about now, but I promise I'll stop by tomorrow" with that she left quickly with an empty basket in hand.

  Well, that's unfortunate it would have been nice to talk to her while I waited for customers. I retreat into my shop and walk behind the counter.

Now we play the waiting game.

   Today has been pretty slow, only a few customs here and there, as expected on lunes. It's the start of the week after all, I mostly read throughout the day. Looking up from my book, I noticed the sun was starting to go down, meaning it was time to close up shop. I gently fold the corner of the page I was on and put the book aside. As I walk around the counter, my attention immediately goes to the ringing bell of the front door opening. Before even looking at who opened the door I pinch the bridge of my nose out of slight annoyance.

"Listen I'm about to close the shop, please make it quick or come back tomorrow" I say with a slight annoyance in my tone.

"Sorry this is my first time coming in here, I've been meaning to visit this place for a while" the women said with a hint of sadness.
I look up and realize the women who just entered my shop was the Isabela madrigal.

"Oh you're Dolores's prima, right? Sorry about that haha feel free to look around it's an honor to have you come to my shop" I say while headed back around the counter.
It was quite embarrassing to dismiss her like that so quickly before, I probably left a bad first impression. I watched as the beautiful madrigal carefully looked at the plants that were on the shelves. I felt like she was judging them harshly in her mind, I doubt my plants would be impressive to her since ya know she can make them from thin air if she really wanted to. Although I doubt she would want to make such imperfect plants, maybe I'm overthinking too much.

  I started to get lost in my thoughts just staring at her while resting my head in my hand. Now that I look at her, she really does look perfect in every sense. Her hair is long and silky, her eyes are stunning along with her gorgeous skin. Part of me wishes I was that perfect, I'm a little jealous.
"Uhm (Y/n), I would like to buy this cacti"
"Huh?" I say hazily.
"I would like to buy this cacti" she looked at me questionably. My eyes widen as I realized she caught me staring at her.

"Ah, I-I'm sorry for staring at you for so long...... I've just never been able to see you this close" I mumble to the last part under my breath, this was very embarrassing. Is this really how our first interaction is going to go, first I was kinda rude to her, and now she caught me staring at her...great.
"Yeah I guess that's true, I've only passed this place once or twice"
Huh? Only once or twice? I could have sworn she had pass by here every day, stopping in front without ever coming in.

  "You know what, just take the plant. Take it as a thank you and an apology I guess" I say while rubbing the back of my neck nervously.
I look back to her eyes to see such a glimmer in them, is she really that excited over a cacti?
"Thank you so much! Here I'll give you something too"
She then made a single rose and handed it to me. Seeing her gift so close was actually very impressive.

"Wow, thank you! You should really come by some more isa', can I call you that?"
I noticed a single flower pop up on her head, weird I've never seen that happen before.
"Yeah, I think I have to go uhm... I'll see you tomorrow, maybe?" She says with a slight smile.

"I'll be open until sundown, Since you can only come at that time I'll be sure to slowly close up shop to give you a chance to stop by" she waved goodbye to me as she went through the front door. I felt my slight anxiety wash away and sighed in relief.

Well, at least the interaction ended smoothly, she's not as bad as I originally thought. I had heard stories from Dolores and Mirabel about her, but she's a lot nicer in person, to me at least. But if she treated me like that, I'm sure she's like that to everyone...right?

I take the rose she gave me and put it in a vase with water. It smelled just like her, sweet.

I'll be looking forward to tomorrow.