Chapter 3

After walking for a bit, me and Isabela made it to casita. I used to visit here often, but after my mother handed down the shop to me, I've been too busy to visit Dolores and her family. I looked up at the beautiful scene in front of me.

The moon was shining bright with stars shimmering in the sky. The moon light lit up casita along with the lanterns that were placed outside creating a real like painting. While admiring the view over casita the world around me felt as if it disappeared.

"(Y/n)?" A soft voice in the distance said as my mind was focused on the night sky.
"(Y/n) would you like to come have dinner with the family?" I suddenly snapped back to reality, what did she just say?

"Huh?" Looking slightly up to the women beside me, I noticed a worried look on her face. Oh shoot I spaced out again, why does that happen so often??

"Sorry I spaced out a little, the view here is so beautiful" she laughed a little while looking back above. "It truly is, I can't blame you. But you still haven't answered my question" she nudged my side a little having a sort of pouty expression on her face.

It was oddly cute, It feels weird thinking that.

Am I being creepy?

"That sounds lovely, I haven't had dinner with your family in forever" right as I finished my sentence she pulled my arm inside casita and hurried to the dinning room.

"Ah, before I forget, hola casita!" One of the windows in the front open and close to wave at me.  Man I miss this place, I remember having many fond memories of hanging out with Dolores here. All the sleepovers we would have in her room, it was pretty easy to fall asleep in her room because it was soundproof. It was hard not to fall in love with the quiet environment in there, never been in anyone else's room though, apart from Mirabel's.

We both reach the dinning room at the same time, Isabela fixed her dress patting off any dirt that might have gotten on her with her right hand and announced that I would be having dinner with the family.

Looking around the table at everyone's faces, there were some weird glances at me and Isabela but they soon shifted into pleased expressions.

"Oh my (Y/n) mija! You've grown so much!" a loving voice said, it was Julieta, Isabela's mother. Me and her had created many fond memories together, a lot of them would be of me coming to her about all my stresses and problems when I was a teenager. She was always the sweetest to me and treated me like I was one of her own, which I greatly appreciated because mamà wasn't the best at having personal conversations with me.

"(Y/n) I wasn't expecting you to stop by" Dolores said with a gentle smile.
"Ay (Y/n) long time no see man!" A curly haired boy said while getting ready to sit down.

"Wow Camilo, you've also grown quite a bit! You're a whole centimeter taller" Camilo scoffed at my joke, he still wasn't as tall as me after all these years.

Teasing him a bunch back then was always so fun, ah where'd the years go.
It had been around 3 years since I've visited the madrigals all together. I proceeded to say hi to everyone making my way to a chair next to señora Alma. Isabela took a chair next to me, when sitting down there was a slight tug on my left arm.

This entire time while I was talking to the family I had seriously been walking around with Isabela by my side with my arm hooked with hers......how could I simply forget that?

   No wonder why everyone gave us weird glances at first, now that just makes me worried about what señora Alma was thinking since she had the most concerned glance at the two of us. I slowly unlinked my arm from Isabela's, her warmth leaving me. She glance at me awkwardly before looking to her left, away from me. A strange anxiety had set in as I sat next to Alma, my anxiety heightened whenever around her, something always felt off. Whenever she would speak to me, it always felt passive-aggressive. It honestly scared me a little as a kid and still even now.

"So (Y/n), what brings you here after all these years?" The question startled me as I was lost in my thoughts. I look to my right where Alma was sitting and smiled awkwardly.

"Well Isabela visited my shop, and we talked for a bit passing the time, I walked her home since it was dark outside, and then she invited me to come for dinner"

   She looked at you for a good 30 seconds before turning her attention to Julieta who had just brought the food out hot and ready. Thank god the food saved me from anymore questions, I can't take talking to Alma for more than a few minutes. It felt like I was going to choke on the lump in my throat.
I get passed some food that looks absolutely delicious, haven't had Julieta's cooking in forever. It was one of the things I missed the most while I was gone.

   The flavors melted in my mouth, it was so good that I had to hold back the urge to eat quickly.
Dinner soon came to an end, it was wonderful. Talking to everyone once again and eating some fantastic food was great. Isabela led me out to the center of casita.

  "Isa' I know we're supposed to meet tomorrow but do you mind if I stay the night in casita? I'm exhausted, and I don't feel like walking home alone this late" I yawned shortly after while rubbing my eyes. Dinner did not help with me feeling tired, she didn't say anything but her eyes had this surprised look to them.

"It's okay if I can't haha" she shook her head shortly after I said that. "No no, that sounds like fun! Come on let's head to m-" suddenly someone behind me tapped my shoulder, it was Dolores.

"It's okay Isabela she can sleep in my room, similar to how we've done before" Dolores said quickly.
"Oh that sounds great, I'll see you in the morning Isa'! It would be better not to bother you with how I sleep haha" When looking back to Isa's face and notice she had sort of a sad smile, that was not what I was expecting, but maybe I'm once again looking into things too much.

"Alright I'll see you tomorrow morning..." she then quickly walked upstairs to her room.
"Alright (Y/n) let's go, I've got something to talk to you about anyway" she grabbed my wrist and pulled me upstairs quickly to her room. Huh, something new must have just come up since she didn't mention this to me earlier.

  Once we were in her room she gave me some clothes that were left by me a while ago.
"Dolores I don't think this shirt is going to fit me like it did before, haha....it's going to turn into a crop top" she shrugged and grabbed some clothes for herself to change into. I went into her bathroom and changed into my old clothes.

The pants fit perfectly fine but the shirt, on the other hand, I was correct to believe it didn't fit me anymore. If this was with anyone else, this would be super embarrassing, but good thing it's with my best friend. I open the bathroom door to see Dolores already sitting down on the floor with a pillow.

"Woah I guess you were right haha, anyways I think I've realized that I'm in love (Y/n)" I come join her on the floor and grab one of her plushies to hug. Dolores being in love was rare, it's not like she couldn't get anyone. More so she didn't like anyone, you understood her a little, but you weren't spared from the occasional crush in the village.

  "Who is it hmmmm?" She flushed a bit red and look down hugging her pillow tighter.
"M-Mariano Guzman..." she said very quietly while not daring to look into my eyes.
"Woah I was not expecting that Dolores! That's wonderful, what do you love about him?" There was a sparkle in her eyes, it was easy to tell she was passionate about him.

"He's a wonderful poet, and he does his best to make his mother proud. Not to mention he's just really adorable with how air-headed he can be sometimes" she looked so happy telling me about him. I'm so happy that she's been able to find someone to love even from afar.

"You should try making a move on him at the ceremony, you know like show off your amazing dancing skills" she laughed a little and then smirked.
"Aren't you going to show off your moves to Isa' at the ceremony?" my face warmed up, she was eavesdropping on my conversations with Isa' once again. This women must love to torture me with embarrassment.

"Shhh we don't talk about it" I jokingly threw the plushie that was in my arms at Dolores.
"Okay okay, I think we should get some sleep"
She got up from where she was sitting and rolled onto her bed sleeping next to the wall. Man, I wanted to sleep next to the wall, it's the best side.
I followed her into bed, and my tiredness soon set in as I drifted off into sleep.

Maybe I should visit the madrigals more often on my break days, I truly miss all these familiar faces and the feelings they give me.