Chapter 7

My anxiety only grew as the day went on after Isa left my shop. She left me wondering about what she could possibly want to talk to me about after I start closing down shop.
It was hard to focus for the rest of the day, my stomach felt weird.
Serving customers was a struggle, I would stumble with my words or space out, getting lost in my thoughts. Dolores even took notice when she came to visit me.

"You okay (Y/n)? You look as if you have something on your mind" Dolores said in a worryed tone. I'm pretty sure she heard what Isabela said to me, but she knew I would scold her for eavesdropping.
"It's nothing Dolores, but thank you for asking, just didn't get much sleep I guess" she nodded and left a little after we sat there in a comfortable silence. Well, at least I found it comfortable.

I felt bad because I wasn't very talkative with her, I struggled to speak. Soon enough though the sun started to set, it was time to close up shop. While sweeping around the floor and reorganizing the shelves, there was a gentle knock at the front door. The sound echoing in my mind, the dreaded moment has arrived right at my door step.

I slowly turned my head to see it was the beautiful madrigal Isabela.  My heart and mind started to race, not knowing what to say or think at the moment. My feet felt light, but my stomach sunk, a multitude of emotions festering inside of my body.

"I can wait for you to finish up closing the shop if you want" she said whilst looking at the ground like it was the most interesting thing in the world. She was so much more reserved than she normally was in the moment. Her perfect exterior had the smallest crack that was barely noticeable. But it was definitely being shown off to me right now.

Something was certainly off, and I think I knew exactly why.

"It's alright I was already finished by the time you came in" it was only a half-truth, but I wanted to get this over with already.
While patting my clothes off and fixing my hair that had gotten messy throughout the day, I lead her upstairs to the kitchen and pulled a seat for her.

"You want anything to drink, Isa?" I offered while looking through my icebox. There wasn't many beverages to choose from apart from leche, agua, y chela. I wasn't much of a drinker, but there were some nights I wanted to mess around, you could say.

"Some water would be nice" her voice was soft when responding to my question. I find it strange how I can tell the difference between her tones so easily, although they don't sound that different from each other.

I suppose when she speaks, I try to pay attention as much as possible even when she's not speaking to me.

I grab a cup from my cabinet and pour some cold water in it. Once I get in my seat across from her, I clear my throat preparing to speak.
"So....Isa, what did you want to talk about? Underneath the table my right leg was shaking slightly attempting to calm my nerves.

She looked to the side before speaking up, "Well I wanted to ask about why you left so suddenly of course, you had me worried sick all night..." each word that left her mouth was gently spoken. I felt a bit of comfort by her tone, but of course, I need to be a supportive amiga with her love endeavors.
I can't tell her I left because of what señorita Alma announced for her.
I should find out though if she even likes the idea.

"Well to be honest I just felt really sick all of a sudden, I wanted to avoid bothering your familia with that." Lying to Isa put a bad taste in my mouth, but it's something I have to do. I enjoy having her in my life even if it's just as friends, I can't mess up the nice friendship I have found myself in.

Of course, I admired her from afar until recently, and I knew deep down if I ever got closer to her, I would end up having more than a normal opinion of her. It would slowly start fading into romantic, which I can tell that's already happening.

Confirming this to myself made me feel even worse for lying to her.
I'm sure she would find me disgusting and hate me for such a thing if it were to ever out.
"Is that so? Well, I hope you're feeling better, do you need some arepas from my mamá?" I shook my head in response but showed my gratitude with a warm smile.

That warm smile was so fake it was painful. I didn't want it to be fake, but I have no choice.

"Isa you don't have to answer this if you don't want to, but are you happy about señora Alma finding suitors for you to get married to?"
I suddenly blurted out without thinking, what was wrong with me? It's not in my place to question such things. The world around me twisted as I felt myself get sucked into my anxiety. I could barely breathe I felt like I was being suffocated by the surrounding air. My hands were trembling, while the slightest noise around me felt the loudest. My heartbeat being the center of the loud ambiance ringing in my ears.

I want to escape.
I don't want to be here.

"(Y/n) you look sick, are you okay??" A concerned voice echoed in the distance.

That's the last thing I heard before my vision blurred into black.

What was happening to me?
I can't feel my body anymore, my anxiety leaving a sting in my heart that's lasting into my fingertips.
Wasn't I just having a conversation with Isabela?

"You know (Y/n) you really should be careful with the whole love thing."

"W-What?" I turn around to face where the echoing voice came from.
I was met face to face with a splitting image of me wearing a concerned face.

"Don't you remember your mamá telling you to always watch your stress? You can't be taking that risk."

I looked at myself as tears run down my face, I don't know why I started to cry, but it just happened.
Suddenly the mirrored image of myself bent down to hug me.

"You've come a long way (Y/n) your mother would be proud, so please, be careful when chasing Isabela. I believe it's possible for your dreams to come true but don't tear yourself apart chasing her."

I felt my anxiety slowly wash away in the embrace. The surrounding scene changed to that day, me and Isa hugged at my quiet place.
Her warmth was so comforting to me, I never wanted to leave her arms.
Eventually we let go of each other and stared into one another's eyes.

Suddenly, my eyes open, I was in my bed. I don't remember walking up here, wasn't I just talking to Isabela?

"What happened...?" my voice was groggy when speaking, I looked around my room to see Isabela sitting at my desk writing something. She wasn't wearing her dress, she was wearing some of my sleeping clothes.

Why was she wearing my clothes?????

"Isa?" in response to hearing her name, she quickly turned around with a very concerned face.

"Oh, you're awake, how are you feeling? You passed out while we were talking! It really scared me" she makes her way to my bedside and rests her hand on mine. A familiar fuzzy feeling lingers through my body as our hands touched. My face was a little warm, it could have been from embarrassment because I fainted in front of Isa.

"I'm feeling okay? I'm not really sure, but sorry for worrying you" I said apologetically while laying back down turning to the wall side.
"You might get in trouble if you stay out too late, I don't want that happening" suddenly I felt my bed get pushed down slightly.

My body froze, unsure if I should turn around to see what it was. My thoughts were cut short when a hand wrapped around me, my body warmed up.

"I'll just spend the night, can't be leaving my sick friend alone" she said into my neck.
I thought my anxiety would be skyrocketing in this moment, but it was more comforting than anxiety inducing.
Isabela did make me nervous but in the moment I felt safe.

I wanted this to last forever, although I know eventually, she'll have to leave in the morning.

"Gracias" I whispered.

"It's no problem chica" she said back.

I wasn't expecting her to respond to my thanks, but I guess it makes sense because she's pressed up against my back.
Slowly I started to drift into sleep, with a gentle smile on my face.

Tonight was such a fever dream.