Chapter 14

Everyone settled down as señora Alma cleared her throat, announcing her presence. I move my hand underneath the table, it would be bad if Alma got the wrong idea. Dolores's hand follows mine though and grips mine lightly. Something was bothering her a lot, she used to do this when we were younger.

"Ahem, oh-" before she could speak, she noticed Antonio's animals sitting in her seat. She pushes them off the chair lightly as Antonio explains why he ordered such a thing. She gives the boy a light smile before returning her glance to the family.

"Alright, well, Antonio's gift ceremony was a success. The night went perfectly, and I got to speak to the Guzmáns about possible arrangements for marriage with Isabela!" Alma said as she walks over to Isabela, who smiled sweetly at her Abuela.

My world froze, I failed Dolores.

"Dolores do we have a date?" Alma continued looking at Dolores with a wide smile, oblivious to how Dolores feels.

This is why she's been so anxious, her grip only tightened underneath the table as she eats with one hand.
She lowers her fork calmly and looks over to the sky, focusing her hearing.

"Tonight, he wants 5 babies" she said quickly going back to her food nonchalantly. Deep down I knew this felt horrible for her, I felt so bad too.

I was going to lose the first person I've felt a genuine connection to in a long time to my best friend's love. All because their Abuela wants a man to marry Isabela right away.

I tuned out what Alma was saying and look over at Isabela, who had a smile plastered on her face. My mind kept running wild with thoughts as I noticed her hair full of flowers.

Did she really want this?

She was smiling, so maybe?

I didn't know what to think anymore I just tried eating the food in front of me to distract from the heartbreaking news. I saw Dolores glance over at me and I just mouth her a 'Lo siento'. She gave me a soft smile that had a hint of pain in it, mouthing back 'está bien'.

Was it truly okay, though?

We basically just lost the love of our lives in only one night, all because of her Abuela. Today was going to be a long day, soon after Alma when back to her seat and said, "La familia Madrigal!" Out loud, everyone else around me soon followed. Some people got up as they finished before others, I was almost done as I felt someone use their fingers to walk on my shoulders.

"You ready for work today (Y/n)?" Isa said with a light smile, I finished the food that was on my plate and smile to her. On the inside, I wasn't ready, but my body moved on its own and nodded quickly.

With that, Isa and I leave casita heading into town to work for the day. There was already a small line outside my shop, I have a feeling today is going to be a busy day.

"Lo siento everyone, had a hard time waking up from the ceremony!" I announced to the people waiting in line, they all didn't seem to have a problem with me opening up shop late. Everything was opening up late because most people had hangovers of some degree.

Señora Alma wasn't lying about the drinks last night. Me and Isabela quickly sweep up the shop, making sure everything looked neat enough to open up to the public. As soon as we were done, I walked behind the counter and gave Isa the thumbs up to open the doors.

"Welcome to my shop! Please don't hesitate to take a look around" I announce enthusiastically to the people coming inside my shop. There weren't any familiar faces and just by the expressions they held it looks as if they were new to my place.

One by one they came to the counter with their items, I ring them up until there is one last person who walks in before the last person in line leaves.

Mariano.

I mentally start to scream as I am now face to face with something I had been dreading all day. He looks over to me, waving lightly before going over to where Isabela was standing.

She looked surprised to see him here, but slowly her surprised expression shifted into a smile. My heart ached at the sight of them talking so happily, I didn't even care what they were talking about. It was the least of my concerns right now, she looked so happy.

Maybe this is for the best that she marries a perfect man, she is perfect herself after all. I noticed the beautiful girl glancing at me every so often while talking to Mariano. It was slightly strange, it almost looked as if she wanted to leave the conversation quickly.

I felt the aching in my heart surge through my arms into my fingertips, giving me an unpleasant feeling of overwhelming sadness. To be honest, I felt like tearing up right then and there. How am I supposed to be happy for the friend I have fallen in love with going out with another, my best friend's interest, of all people. I felt like yelling in the moment, but I knew I needed to keep quiet.

My eyes tracked their every movement as I let my thoughts wander. I wonder what Isabela's answer was to my question last week, my stupid-self passed out.

Are you truly happy with this Isa?

Mariano noticed my eyes on them, giving me a slight awkward smile. My face stayed emotionless as he went back to talking to the lovely girl next to him.

Eventually, he grabbed something off the shelf and brought it to the counter. I quickly take him money and push his plant lightly back to him, waving him goodbye without a word.

Before he left, he gave Isa a hug and-

Kissed her on the cheek.

My body felt numb at the sight, Isabela did nothing but just smiled.

I'm sorry Isa, I can't be happy for you in this situation.

I'm a horrible friend.

Then with a ding of the door, the man that just shattered my fictive reality left my store.
I don't know why I even tried, she could never feel the same way. Deep down I was aware that from the realization of my love, but part of me wanted to think otherwise.

I'm a fool.

My eyes rested on Isa walking back over to the counter while...wiping her cheek? Maybe she didn't like germs or something. She looked at me awkwardly, maybe I shouldn't have been watching them.

"So, that's Mariano. The guy you're going to marry I'm assuming, right?" I said in a monotone voice, she can't know how much it hurts.
It will ruin our friendship.

"Yeah..." she said in a strange tone, my anxiety was creeping up on me.
Should I ask my question again?
What if this is something she truly doesn't want? Tonight he's probably going to propose at the dinner. Deep down I know it'll be painful to see, but I need to know how things go and be supportive for Dolores in this hard time.

"Hey, can I come to dinner tonight?" I asked quickly, closing my eyes too scared to see her expression. I then felt her hands gently hold mine, lifting them lightly. My eyes open again to be met with her gaze.

"Of course you can chica" her voice sounded like a mixture of emotions. I couldn't grasp on which ones were laced in her tone though.
Even if I lose the love of my life, I know I'll need to be there for Dolores in the end.

I glance over towards the window, noticing how much time has passed already. It was almost time to close, but a few customers showed up last second. Isabela then turns her head and greets the customers, helping them look around as she eventually led them over to me once they figured out what they wanted. Throughout the entire ordeal I felt so out of it, wondering how tonight was going to go.

I hate this sinking feeling.