Chapter 6: A Case of Fidelity Part I

Kofy gulped his glass of orange juice so violently that how gently he set down the glass on the dining table felt like a fever dream. He felt two pairs of judgement-filled eyes on him.

Georgina forced a smile. "Are you out of food at school?"

Kofy also faked a smile. "That would be a surprise. You know I rarely cook."

"Oh, is that what you call it?! You know it's only cooking if the finished product is edible."

"Oh sure! Let's call this sauce edible."

"What sauce?" Georgina asked. "That's right. You licked it off your bowl."

"That's enough, both of you." The firm voice of Rebekah Richmond filled the dining room. "I made the sauce."

"Oh, I'm sorry, Mum." Kofy said, bowing his head in embarrassment.

Rebekah regarded her son. "You know, it's okay to come and visit us. It's okay to miss your mother and your sister."

"What?" Kofy exclaimed. "Miss you? I was here last Sunday."

"Exactly!" Rebekah said. "We usually have dinner on Sundays. It's Friday and you made up a bogus story for us to have dinner. Now, you would do that for one of two reasons. It's either there is something really serious you have to talk to us about or more likely, you miss us."

"What?!" Kofy laughed nervously. "No! I was bringing my girl... my very serious girl. She's just too nervous to show up."

"Your serious girl?" Georgina asked. "Since when?"

"I've been seeing her for about four months." Kofy said unconvincingly.

"Hmm!" Rebekah exclaimed. "Four months, huh? It's strange that this fake relationship began after my divorce from your father."

"There's no girl, Mum." Georgina said.

"I said there is." Kofy said back.

"What's her name?" Georgina asked.

Kofy pushed his chair back and stood. "Have a good night, both of you."

"Kofy, wait." Rebekah said even before Kofy began to walk. "Text Kai that you'll be staying home all weekend."

"If you insist." Kofy said, doing a bad job at holding in his smile.

"Oh great!" Georgina said. "They're back at it. I guess I'm doing the dishes tonight."

On Saturday morning, Rebekah took Kofy on a drive around the city. They shopped, buying a lot of clothes, materials and foodstuffs. They talked, mostly about Rebekah's work as the first woman to ever hold her position. They saw the streets of the city which was very much without traffic.

At around 4pm, when they were ready to go back home, traffic had built up. Then they had nothing to do but share a huge pack of ice cream and talk. Kofy talked about why he preferred motorbikes since with them he could easily avoid traffic, however, his mother called him out for just never being able to drive.

"I hear you're still not talking to your father." Rebekah said, subconsciously tapping the steering wheel with her finger.

Kofy gave no reply but checked to make sure he hadn't got ice cream on his blue shirt with thick, black vertical stripes.

"Gina has been talking to him." Rebekah said.

"Of course they would. They're computer buddies."

"Well, I think you're being pretty unfair to him."

"If fairness was important to him, he wouldn't have done what he did... tearing up our family like that."

Rebekah regarded her son who was looking out the window as he shoveled some ice cream into his mouth. She understood his sadness and frustration. For the better part of four months, she had those feelings. Now she was over it. She was over the only man she had ever loved yet.