Chapter 11: The Spotted Band Part III

It had been weeks since my encounter with Edem on Roxord Alley, where he promised to make me pay for getting him arrested even though it was actually Jordan who made the call, pretending to be me.

It was mid-afternoon, and I had, by then, spent about four hours dreading another interaction with Edem, who before learning his identity, I had only referred to as the Roxord Alley Bandit. Light had been quite generous by paying for our fried yam, which we enjoyed with no fruit flavoured soda. It was quiet inside the car, but the intensity that existed earlier seemed to have vanished. At least, it didn't feel that way because I was busy worrying that my fried fish was looking at me.

My eyes only went up when the car stopped outside Light's hostel building. Light exited the car and leaned to talk to Jordan through the window.

"The results are definitely ready by now," he said. "but I can confidently tell you that it is bacterial in nature."

"Then some antibiotics could be all they need." Jordan observed.

"It might be a bit more complex than that, but hopefully it won't have to be." Light said, with a smile.

Jordan returned the smile and accelerated. "You can move up front, if you wish."

"Thanks, but I don't wish to."

"Please. I feel like a chauffeur driving my boss."

"Why, what's wrong with being a chauffeur?"

Jordan bowed his head in shame and discomfort. "Nothing. Nothing at all. The only problem I have is actually having a chauffeur."

"Say more!" I was intrigued.

"My point is, if I had a car, I wouldn't let anybody drive it, much more somebody I'd have to pay."

"Jordan, you do have a car, and I doubt you'd let anyone was it."

"Yeah, that's my point."

I went back to eating the yam chips, which were so crispy that all my attempts to chew quietly failed.

"So," I said after forcefully swallowing a mouthful of yam. "you and Light have made up."

"I realized he wasn't the only one being a dick. I really like him, and I would hate to lose him on a matter as basic as this."

"Yeah, it's pretty obvious. And strangely, he likes you too. I mean, I wouldn't stand in line for as long as he did to get yam for myself; yet he did it for you."

"Oh wow!" Jordan exclaimed. "It didn't even occur to me. When we first met, we shared a pack of yam."

"I was there when you met. It wasn't anything like that."

"No, not that time. After your Matthew's case, we met at a bus stop and I shared my lunch with him."

He entered a dream state and smiled as he took us down the clear road. I hadn't seen him like that before.

"I can't say I approve of this though."

Jordan grunted. "Kofy, I already have three brothers I'm worrying about."

"It's not about that at all." I promised. "It's just that... his name is Light. That is a very big serial killer red flag, if you ask me."

"I'm not asking."

"Also, he's a junior. Next year, he'll graduate and go to his home city... somewhere up north."

"You don't know where he's from, do you?" Jordan teased. "Do you even know your mother's..."

"Nalerigu!" I said, as if I had all things to prove. "Light's from Nalerigu."

"Yes, I'm aware that he lives hundreds of miles away," Jordan whined. "but it's too soon to worry about that."