Chapter 8: Silent agreements

Dream met the gaze from one of "the others". One ice blue and one brown eye was staring back at him. The person had dark, wavy hair, a lean frame and an expression of disgust mixed with something more difficult to place, curiosity maybe. The boy seemed to be around his age and would've been attractive if the inhumane, slightly glowing eyes wouldn't be examining him in a way that made Dream feel extremely uneasy. The dark-haired guy's friends seemed to have set their focus on Sapnap instead. His friend looked as uncomfortable as he felt. And the most unsettling detail, the three people were completely silent.

The silent finally made Sapnap break. "What the fuck are you doing to us!?" The one wearing a beanie turned towards him. His orange and dark brown eyes shone with terrifying amusement. At first, the expression made no sense in the scenario. But that was until the guy pulled out a knife and in a matter of second the blade leaned against his friend's throat.

Time must've to have stopped and Dream saw how Sapnap was frozen in place. Dream suddenly felt like these "people" differentiated in a lot more ways than just their eye colors. That realization made him feel slightly better about this shitty mission that they were sent on. Maybe his girlfriend had been right, they might not be as similar as he'd first thought.

Dream was ready to start yelling at guy with the knife. He didn't know what to do if Sapnap died to these sadists. But the knife was unexpectedly removed before any shouting could take place. The guy with the knife had turned around to face the third guy in the group. No verbal communication had appeared, as far as Dream knew, but it looked like they were having a wordless argument nonetheless. The third guy had brown wavy hair and possessed the same heterochrome feature as the rest, one green and one grey eye. The combination looked a bit familiar but Dream shook it off.

The staring battle, as it would best be described, ended with the beanie guy rolling his eyes and reluctantly putting away the knife. He heard a faint huff from his left side. Dream turned as much as the ropes allowed and saw how the dark-haired man shook his head. 

It hit him that the former situation must've captured all of his attention, because the dark-haired guy was now sitting uncomfortably close to Dream and was consistently flipping a butterfly knife open and close. His face was mostly covered by his hair, but Dream saw enough to understand that the boy found the situation rather amusing. 

A sudden outburst of rage filled his head. How could anyone be amused by the attempted murder? Did they not possess any form of empathy? The brunette's attention quickly shifted from his friend bizarre, silent argument to Dream. The guy raised an eyebrow and looked very confused. Dream stared back and couldn't shake the feeling that the guy must've felt the anger Dream directed towards them. Could these fuckers read minds? The thought made Dream more than just a little uncomfortable, which made him turn away.

Dream cursed himself for falling asleep. The calmness of the forest had clouded his mind. It was, despite its beauty, enemy territory. His mind ran through all the potential ways to try and get themselves out of this situation. The Watchers training had covered a lot of scenarios, but none was measurable with their current one. His wrists hurt from the ropes, he'd tried his best to break free but it had only resulted in pain. Sapnap seemed defeated. Their first mission. Just a couple days in and they'd already messed up.

The trio sat in a circle and Dream couldn't help but wonder what they were going to do with them. He closed his eyes. What had he done for his life have to come to this? All he ever actually wanted was to feel free, escape the bunker and see the world that had been hidden from him for so long. But now it seemed as though he might not even survive that much longer. His slumber was disturbed by a hand, forcing his head upwards. "What's your name?" Blue and brown eyes were staring at him. The shook of hearing the quiet person talk made him unable to speak.