Chapter 36: The door to freedom

Sapnap felt like his brain was spinning, no conjoined sentences reached his brain, except one. "Kill everyone of them." It didn't take a genius to figure out who thought that killing everyone in the bunker was the way to go.

And as on que. Five individuals made their way across the bunker: Quackity, Karl, Techno, Wilbur and Philza.

Suddenly everyone became silent and stared at the newcomers. They stopped, leaving a good distance between themselves and the residents.

"Good evening." Philza said loudly. No one responded so he continued. "We all know that our past has been rather ugly. But we're here today to change that or rather, give you all an offer." He paused to search for reactions.

"Leave this bunker, return to the surface, learn to live again... or die here tonight." The silence felt thick enough to choke a person. A person stood up behind Sapnap and people parted as he spoke, making sure that he was 'visible.

"A rather insensitive decision to show up here after one of yours brained-washed and killed my son. And not only that but killing two of my men and injuring myself in the process." The Council-leader's tone lacked all sort of emotion.

Philza, however, looked as confused as a person possible could. His companions seemed to share the same expression.

"I was not aware of this situation and can confirmed that it must've been someone who didn't belong to us. None of my citizens would kill someone without very good reasoning, such as self-defense." Philza responded.

Little did the man know that those words would mark the end of his side of the conversation. "Oh, but that's where you're wrong. What is his name again? Ah, George. Does it ring any bells?" All five of them were speechless. But it thankfully made them realize that the story couldn't be true, at least not completely.

Yet, the bunker's residents bought every bit of it and Sapnap knew in that moment that no one would leave. It was bizarre to think that they rather die here than at least try to make a new life on the surface.

Wilbur cleared his throat. "This facility is a scar in nature. You use recourses and living beings in unethical ways. You've been taught to fear the surface, but there's nothing to fear. The radiation is gone and everything that could possible be needed is available. To continue this loop will eventually lead to history repeating itself. Humans aren't meant to be Gods over nature–." But the brunette was abruptly interrupted by Dream's father.

"These are nothing but lies. The surface possesses great dangers, such as your kind. The proof is right here." And with those word, he lifted his arm, showing the bitemark. "Your kind may be able to speak and share certain similarities. But you're cannibals or rather carnivores."

Sapnap furrowed his brows. He knew that they ate meat, but it wasn't like they went around to closest person and took a bite. Wilbur and Philza seemed just as confused.

Techno, however, looked as cold as always. And when he spoke, everyone seemed to sense his slightly terrifying aura. "Everyone who wishes to start new will leave the bunker within ten minutes. The rest of you... Well, see you guys in hell."

The five people turned around and made their way towards the elevator and Sapnap figured that it was his signal to follow. He ran towards them.

"Nick!" a woman's voice called after him using his birth name. He knew who it was already. His mom.

He forced himself to look at her one last time. Anger, sadness and disappointment all shone from her facial expression. He broke the eye contact, not able to take the hurt his mom showed.

They all reached the surface and started running. They didn't have much time. All of them took shelter behind a semi-collapsed concrete wall. Wilbur held a watch in his hand and the ten minutes begun.

Sapnap couldn't understand how easily these people believed anything their leader said without ever questioning. All he'd ever wanted was a way out, but maybe people liked living in the the secure living in the concrete facility. Maybe some humans liked the fact that some things might never receive an answer. What a sad existence.

Karl must've felt his distress cause arms wrapped around his shoulders and he welcomed the comforting touch.

Time was running out. Quackity had kept an eye on the bunker, but not one person had taken up on their offer. Wilbur checked the watch one last time and then nodded to Techno, who gave him a remote.

Wilbur sighed. "Nature will always beat mankind; despite how much we pretend that it's the opposite."

Sapnap saw how he shook his head. "It was never meant to be." Were the words that marked the end.

The button was pressed and the effect occurred seconds after. Everyone covered their ears and eyes. Chaos erupted but faded quickly. Sapnap peaked his head out from behind the wall. The once misplaced bunker was no longer to be found. All that was left was a huge crater.

"How come no one ever questioned the man's words or even considered that the bunker wasn't all that the world had to offer?" Sapnap said in defeat.

Philza exchanged one look with his son before he turned his attention towards Sapnap.

"Have you ever heard the paradox about a king who gave all his prisoners a choice in how they would die?" Sapnap just shook his head.

"Well, the king always gave them an offer before they would be executed: Death by hanging or go down to the dark basement and open an old iron door that was sealed with loads of locks. No one, except the king, knew what was behind the door." Sapnap furrowed his brows in confusion regarding how this was relevant.

"Everyone chose death by hanging. One man that was waiting to be hung figured that he might as well ask what was behind the door, because he was dead either way. The king answered simply that the door led to freedom."

Wilbur continued because everyone seemed to be confused by the story. "People will rather choose a quick death and know how it will happen, rather than taking a chance. The door symbolizes the risk. Sure, it led to freedom. But they didn't know. It could've been a flesh-eating monster on the other side for all they knew. Humans fear what they don't know or understand and will more often the not choose the option that they're familiar with rather than taking the chance with something that they don't know what it will lead to. Even if it might be a choice that would've changed their life for the better." Wilbur concluded.

Sapnap could only stare at the remains of his former home. Nothing ever lasts forever.