Chapter 22: Blinded by love

George felt like the definition of an idiot. He'd awoke in the early morning to a faint sound. He and Dream had fallen asleep a couple meters from their camp, so all their stuff was left behind.

Even though he'd tried to ignore it, the sound kept going and a bad feeling made George decide to check it out. He'd left the comfortable space on Dream's chest and followed the sound, which led him back to their original resting place for the night. The sound had seemed to originate from Dream's backpack. George had dabbled between searching through the blonde's stuff right away or wake him up.

Alternative number one won and resulted in the finding of the tracker and communication device. It was obvious that the voice tried to reach Dream to inform him that they were about arrive at their current location.

Everything had escalated so fast after that. The blonde had found him and realized the discovery and the bunker-people arrived shortly after. The little show had uncovered that his fellow traveler both had a girlfriend and seemingly a father that had a high position in the base.

George now found himself locked in a concrete cell. He didn't know how he'd got there but assumed that they'd drugged him. Guilt painted his mind. He'd failed Ophelia, he'd failed Karl and Quackcity and he'd failed everyone else that lived at his base.

All because his heart had taken over the decision makings. He banged his head in the wall behind him, it hurt but he deserved it. It wasn't just that he'd failed his only mission and fallen in love with the enemy. No, he'd just happened to fall for his promises of a future together and in return given him an exact map to their base. If he ever got out of this place, he would run away and never return.

Both his hands and feet were chained to the wall. It was apparently not enough to just lock him in a cell. He didn't know the time or how long he'd been there, but no one had bothered him so far. Maybe their plan just to let him rot down here, cause there's no way he could escape. George already missed the outside; he felt his soul crumble in this place. It made him sympathize with Dream but hate and betrayal was still way more prominent feelings towards the blonde.

The door opened and George counted to six people that entered the room. All of them wore lab coats except one, who wore a suit. George closed his eyes and tried his best to see if he could pick up any form of feelings, intentions, or mood from the little crowd. It wasn't very fruitful, however they seemed to dislike him, which he could've guessed. He sensed a bit of curiosity as well, but that was basically all.

The well-dressed man made his way over to his cell. George kept his gaze on the wall in front of him and refused to look at the man. "So, George, is it?" He flinched slightly at the mention of his name but refused to answer. The man continued. "There's no reason to be difficult here. We might not know everything, but we've managed to snap up somethings from eavesdropping on you and Dream's little trip." George registered the way this man said Dream's name. He noticed a bit familiarity in his tone and the way he spoke but couldn't place it.

"So, it seems as though your kind can talk after all. Your little friend has kept quiet this entire time, rather impressive." George wanted to rip the man's tongue out. Narcissistic bastard. "Your little friend has proven that your ability to heal is slightly faster and that your sight and hearing is increased. The things we've gathered from what you've told Dream, shows that your kind has evolved qualities that would make it easier to survive in nature. This includes the ability to drink saltwater and doesn't require vitamin C to sustain healthy." George cursed himself for ever being born. Not only did they now know rather valuable information, but his friends and family could already have been slaughtered due to his slipup. George noticed that the man hadn't listed the mind-communication and hoped that it was still unknown. However, it hit him that Dream still knew about it and then it would most likely just be a matter of time before the news spread.

The man crouched down to be at George's level. "Do you happen to know what all of these listed traits have in common?" George reluctantly turned his head to face the man. He was met with a pair of green, cold eyes. The man had dark, perfectly styled hair, dark eyelashes and equally dark eyebrows. A smirk was plastered on the man's face. He must've been in his late forties. He was definitely a man of power, he radiated power. His every move seemed calculated and all the people around him must feel the same as it seemed like they awaited his orders.

George refused to answer any question this man had. The man seemed to sense it so he leaned closer and lowered his voice. "It's all traits of animals." He spat the last word out. He stood up again. "And tell me George, what do you do with animals that's disobedient or of no use?" He stared down at George again. George really didn't like where this conversation was heading. "You just put them out of their misery." George eyes widened. They would all get slaughtered, every. Last. One of them.